🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Portfolio question

Started by
2 comments, last by Obscure 13 years, 5 months ago
I am a quick question and I would think the answer would be yes, but I would like to get more opinions about it. I have recently created a library that I call memhack what it does it takes a base pointer address and finds the dynamic address so you can change the data of that variable in a game. E.g. a game trainer. Right now the library just supports level 5 pointers, I am not going to explain how to do this or anything, this isn't about hacking. What I really want to know is after I successfully complete a game trainer or this library to the fullest of my needs, should I use this as part of my portfolio or will game/software industries frown on this kind of thing? I would think that I should post on my portfolio once done, but again I would like more opinions. My portfolio would add something like this on top of the games/working progress games.

Portfolio
--->Game 1 (Finished)
--->Game (In Development)
--->Memhack Library
--->Game Trainer

I know my game 1 and in development game is good for a portfolio, but having a memhack library and game trainer I am not sure about. I think it is a good thing since I will be using visual c++ to show off more versatility in making programs/games and memhack library showing that I understand the dll/lib creation process and I am able to access specific memory locations and manipulate it. Please tell me what you think about this so I can either finish the trainer(s) or just focus on making a new game.
Advertisement
If it's code that you're particularly proud of, you can have it in your portfolio. The main rule is: only put your very best stuff in your portfolio. If you don't have anything you're particularly proud of, then your portfolio isn't ready for prime time yet.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

That is a key rule I understand fully. I have a problem though after I have made something I lose my proud feeling very fast because I want bigger and better. I found that I was falling under the curse of 3D Realms, wanting to scrap it and add more and use better technology. Proud is something I don't think I will ever truely acheive while coding, but I think that is largely due to my personality type I am a perfectionist, if I think of a new idea and I think it would make the game better I feel as if my game isn't what I want. I have to stick to an idea and learn to balance which I am doing quite well once I learned of my curse.

So in general it is acceptable to put something like this on my portfolio? I wasn't sure if people in the industry frowned on making ways to cheat there game or software. I can see how it would be valuable too.

--->Game (In Development)

Your portfolio should only contain finished projects.

As for your desire to make something bigger and better that is fine. When you have actually finished the bigger and better thing it can go in your portfolio and the old item can be removed. But until the new work is finished the old one is still the best work you have and belongs in your portfolio.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement