🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Decision making for my future

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 5 months ago
Hello everybody, it's nice to be here.

My name is Brian Bann; I am currently at a fork in the proverbial road that is my life. I am nineteen years old and will be graduating from Kent State University this spring with an Associate's degree in Computer Technology with a focus in Application Development. I enrolled in the program when I was seventeen because I still didn't really have a clear vision of what I wanted to do.

I have always considering game development as something I'd like to do. However, as I'm sure all of you know our economy wasn't (and still isn't) at its strongest.I thought, "Entertainment will be the first to go, the job market will be scarce for game devs.". That's why I went with a "secure" field like IT tech.

Throughout the entire program, I kept thinking, "Maybe it will get better?" I am not bad at programming and networking tech; my teachers often encouraged me to take more advance courses the next semester and I have straight A's. However, I don't enjoy it how I thought I would; it's very robotic. I realize some will go, "Well buddy, that's life," but I don't want to spoil my chance to get a job I enjoy while I'm young.

I've been modeling as a hobby for several years and love it. I'm almost completely self-taught and try to teach myself new techniques all the time. I currently use Cinema 4d but am trying to make the transition to a more industry standard software like Maya. It's taking some getting used to, but that's a different story.

I'm not, by any means, a 2d artist however. I'm the guy who drew stick-figures in my notebooks because that's about the extent of my 2d skills. It seems like having 2d skills is a must for a game dev or a 3d artist.

I'm a pretty creative guy, but it's my lack of skills that is making me worry. I can't draw(as mentioned before) and don't have any other assets except modeling. How many of you are naturals at what you do? How many of you went to school to learn your artistic skills? I keep thinking, "Well if I can't do it now can I learn it?"

In short,I'm terrified right now. Time is passing by quickly and I need to make up my mind soon if I should continue with a bachelors in a computer science or if I should pursue my goals of being a game dev. There is one school around me that may have a brand new Game Design program up and running fall of 2011, but I'm not sure how great the program is because it'sbrand new. It's also not finalized also.

That's my situation. Thanks for those of you who read that monster post. I would appreciate some feedback from you guys as to what you think I should do. I'm sorry if it's request or if this post has you thinking, "WTF is this kid smoking?"; I just am trying to decide where to take my life and I'll take all the advice I can take.

Thank you all,

Brian Bann

P.S.

Here's a photobucket account I made to show some of my renders. I love history and my favorite wartime era is 1941-45 in the Pacific. I'd love to make a naval simulation game if you couldn't tell by some of my models.

http://s1106.photobu...me/B_Squared_CG
Advertisement
You've started the degree, finish it; next to everything you learn can be brought over to game dev in some way and it doesn't limit you to just a game development job. The models aren't too bad, keep working at it as a hobby, but focus on your degree first; you'll find a solid degree will get you much further than creating a few models in something like 3ds max.

You've started the degree, finish it; next to everything you learn can be brought over to game dev in some way and it doesn't limit you to just a game development job. The models aren't too bad, keep working at it as a hobby, but focus on your degree first; you'll find a solid degree will get you much further than creating a few models in something like 3ds max.

Don't get me wrong; I am getting my degree this spring. I'm taking my last few classes right now.

However, I don't know whether I want to continue in my current field and enroll in a bachelor's program or if I should enroll myself in another local school's game design program. I don't particularly like programming. I don't dislike it but I don't love it either.
If you don't like it, then don't do it. Programming is just like that. Imagine yourself coding for 8-10 hours a day, 5-6 days a week (I heard that working hours and days are quite um... "flexible".)
[font="Arial"][size="4"]Hi Brian,

[font="Arial"][size="4"]I started to read your post and then I knew what to respond:

[font="Arial"][size="4"]"Read the Forum FAQs. All of them."

[font="Arial"][size="4"]The link is above. Make sure you read FAQ 47, the part about fears.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Wow, those FAQs are really helpful... I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't see them before. That's usually the first thing I do when I join a forum.

It's late and I have to wake up for work in the morning, but I did read number 47. Very inspiring; thanks a lot. :)

Wow, those FAQs are really helpful...

Good, I'm glad.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement