🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Review my resume

Started by
21 comments, last by Concentrate 13 years, 4 months ago

[deleted]

Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Advertisement
Your interests say you've made some games.

Might be an idea to get them online and provide a link on your resume if you're looking to break into professional game development :)

Your interests say you've made some games.

Might be an idea to get them online and provide a link on your resume if you're looking to break into professional game development :)

Thanks for the tip. I'm not necessarily trying to get into the game industry. I'm just trying to get an internship in software development position. My interest in making
games has slowly faded away. Although, I might be making a web portfolio soon. Thanks for the suggestion.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
As an entry level resume it looks passable. It certainly isn't stellar, but it is likely to help land a job.

The bulleted lists of courses, tools, and languages are a common entry-level flaw. It is common enough that HR departments often know how to handle it, but you can do better.

Cut the sections and use the space to describe your abilities. Stating your own self-assessed competencies is a limiter for several reasons. First, employers know that unskilled workers will inflate their self assessments and highly skilled workers tend to be more modest, meaning that typically the more you boast the less skilled you are. Second, by stating individual technologies you have pigeon-holed yourself and limited your ability to fit slots that are different from those specific items.

Consider that you listed OpenGL and Autodesk 3D. Now imagine an employer was looking for entry level workers for a project using DirectX and Maya. Even if you may have been a great fit for the job you have accidentally excluded yourself from it. At the entry level an HR manager or team leads may overlook the flaw in your application, but as you progress in your career they will be comparing for more precise specializations. Instead of limiting yourself to a short list, try to tell what projects used the technology and describe how you did it. Allow the employer to see the actual depth of your experience. The employer can then ask if you are comfortable with items that don't appear. They can decide if your experience would be applicable to the project even if it was gained using different tools.

When it comes to coursework, any CS major and math minor ought to have had most of those classes so nothing is particularly noteworthy. The list is currently mostly a space-filler that gives reasons to reject your application. By not taking course X, you accidentally exclude yourself. Instead list the types of projects and activities you excelled at and enjoyed. Did you have any special projects that stand out? Did you do anything that sets you apart from the other common graduates? Did you have a research area that you most enjoyed? List those projects. List any specific accolades you may have earned. If an employer is looking for a specific skill they can ask you in person, rather than having your short bulleted list exclude yourself prematurely.

For both school projects and work projects, tell more about what you did. How big were the teams? "Communicated with Team Members" and "Assisted Team Members" does not seem noteworthy. What did you help them with? Why would those skills apply to the job you are applying for? Describe those details and others that apply to the job.

You list two jobs of assisting a professor. I'd merge them and include more details about the projects. "Integrated a program to make it online based" doesn't tell me much. How big was the program? What do you mean by "online based"? When you "developed GUI" for the programs it leaves much to the imagination. Was it a hard-coded form with three buttons and a drop-down list? Was it a dynamically formatted data-driven collection of buttons, sliders, and other input fields? Was it a 3D visualization for a complex system? Give details.
Your objective must be very clear and motivational (say something that motivates yourself, I want to gain experience, I want to be productive during my calm days, I want to offer my productivity to the co workers). Also keep in mind that you need to focus on the company you are interested, which has specific problems to solve in a specific area and uses specific tools. It's wise to write down all of your skills in a mail document, and then selectively compile a resume for the specific company, generalization has brought me only troubles. It's not the "clever" or the "cheating" way to write a resume, but it's the only correct way to say good things about yourself and help other to learn about your easily (without doubts or questions).

If the company that you are interested is a game development company then talk only about games. I assuming this scenario since we are in gamedev.net Some possible clues you could add to your resume.

- I like to create games.
- I play PC, XBOX360, mobile games daily and always learing about new concepts and ideas.
- I create games with C++ and SuperDuperGameEngine for the last 2 years (exploration of a full project lifecycle is very important).
- Provide information about your web status (sounds oxymoron but no one evaluates physical charisma as 100% important in computers), better say that you are member in gamedev.net, also any other online personas will help (if you have a blog about game development, a youtube account that you upload your game engine videos)

OK, the above examples are a bit sarcastic but you get the idea.

I do not consider my advices top or best, they are simple advices for some occations. They could work for some people and could not work for some others, everyone should do as he likes according to his ideas. :D
Objective:
Drop "I am" in general -- More to the point, consider customizing your objective to each specific position, at least those that you are more excited about. Also, word it in a way that displays enthusiasm but avoids "this is what I want to get out of it" -- Companies don't care what you want to get out of an internship, so focus on what you want to do for them instead.

Programming Languages and Libraries + Tools:
Roll this all into a "Skills" section -- remain general as to not pigeonhole yourself, but its OK to mention specific examples for illustrative purposes: "Experienced in industry-standard IDEs such as Visual Studio and Eclipse."

Related Coursework:
Cut this back to stuff you're extremely interested in, or extremely good at, mentioning work you've done with it. Somewhere, perhaps in the Education section, mention where you currently are at in your education -- that will give them a good enough idea of what general CS topics to expect you to have some familiarity with.

Related Experience:
There are some wording issues here: "Integrated C++ program with Java to make it online based." English may not be your native tongue, though you seem to have a fair command of it, just be careful. If in doubt, ask someone else how they would say what you're trying to convey. Also, that particular example is vague -- How did you integrate the two? What online features were enabled by your efforts?

Other work history:
I can take it or leave it -- generally an employer won't care about unrelated experience, but since you're a student its not unexpected to see this, and having been a cashier (with references available) at least speaks to the fact that someone in a business setting found you trustworthy -- If you've done this job part time during college or high school, consider mentioning that (if you don't cut it entirely) because that will speak to your ability to manage your time and responsibilities.

Honors:
Who is the Mayor of Connecticut? Did you mean Mayor of a town or City, or did you mean Governor/senator or some other official? Be sure that the title of the award is exact, and include the year you were awarded.

Interests:
Dump basketball unless it was collegiate-level.
Consider dumping languages (Neither Nepali or Hindi is likely to be much use, the space is better spent elsewhere.)
Be specific about tutoring topics, and if you have any success stories, share. If you helped little Timmy go from a C student to an A student, it might be worth mentioning, but only if there's proof.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Hey,

Thanks everyone for their suggestion. I am currently trying to revise the paper.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
So here is my revised paper. Can I do anything else to make it better.

<IMAGE REMOVED >

EDIT it should have been for "Experienced in Windows and Max OS"
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

So here is my revised paper. Can I do anything else to make it better.

"Integrated large c++ program with Java ... make it web based program" How large? What does "Integrate" mean in this case? You still never say what making it web based actually means.

"created website replicas" What does this mean?

"Other skills" Cut it. This section adds no value. Beyond that, it weakens the rest of the document. It gives me several reasons to reject the application and no compelling reasons to hire you. There is only one thing in the section that isn't covered elsewhere: show task where you actually used MIPS. Since you didn't cover it elsewhere I assume it was such a small thing that you have no reason to tout your skills.

Add more jobs to your work history. Do you really only have a four month work history? You should pull out the past several years even if they aren't directly related. I don't care that you flipped burgers in high school, but I do care that you can hold a job.

There are several serious grammar errors. You claim to have "excellent communications skills" despite some evidence to the contrary, so I expect with your skills it should be easy to find and correct them.

As a side note, are you willing to move across the country? Are you willing to work in a neighboring state? This becomes relevant when you post it online or give it to companies with offices away from your city.
Dibash,
You must not use the word "experience" frivolously. Read the "Experience" column, in this forum's FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement