🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Online courses from universities

Started by
6 comments, last by way2lazy2care 13 years, 4 months ago
Hi,
i have seen many online courses pages then universities provides teir lectures but haven't seen that lectures yet. I want to apply to CS studies in UK next year. It is worth watching these online lectures? If yes then can you give me some good links of them? Im interested in CS, programming, mathematics and game programming lectures. Im beginner to intermediate programmer, know some advance topics such as classes, inheritance, pointers and etc. Maybe it can provide me some knowledge that could be helpful if i will get to university?..

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Advertisement
So can anyone tell me about this before this topic is dead? :D

Clearly, learning material that will form part of your course ahead of time will help you with those classes when you reach them. Does that even need asked? Just try them and see, it takes virtually no investment other than an hour or two of your time. Otherwise, it might give you something to mention in your personal statement to demonstrate interest in the subject.
[TheUnbeliever]
Sounds like you should read Tom Sloper's FAQ 66: Is It Worth It, the link taken from the "Breaking In" forum FAQ.

That forum's FAQ has answers to many common questions about education, including several variations of questions you are likely to ask in response to these answers.

1. It is worth watching these online lectures?
2. Maybe it can provide me some knowledge that could be helpful if i will get to university?..

3. So can anyone tell me about this before this topic is dead?

1. "Worth" is subjective. Only YOU can determine if something has worth FOR YOU.
2. Maybe.
3. Topics don't "die" in an hour. Have patience, Grasshopper!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='kaktusas2598' timestamp='1297441643' post='4772903']
1. It is worth watching these online lectures?
2. Maybe it can provide me some knowledge that could be helpful if i will get to university?..

3. So can anyone tell me about this before this topic is dead?

1. "Worth" is subjective. Only YOU can determine if something has worth FOR YOU.
2. Maybe.
3. Topics don't "die" in an hour. Have patience, Grasshopper!
[/quote]

Thanks, now I get it :)

But can anyone post good courses?

Theres alot of universities that post open courseware type stuff. MIT has an opencourseware project for example.

Another resource is khanacademy.org which was founded by an individual.
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!

Sounds like you should read Tom Sloper's FAQ 66: Is It Worth It, the link taken from the "Breaking In" forum FAQ.

That forum's FAQ has answers to many common questions about education, including several variations of questions you are likely to ask in response to these answers.

frob, you have to cool down. If you keep posting links to forum faqs Tom will have nothing to do when he comes in this section.

edit: at OP, if it is free then definitely. If it is not free, then maybe.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement