🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Jobs in America

Started by
6 comments, last by nostyleguy 13 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys..

I am actually a computer engineer in the first place, I got an M.Sc in Virtual Reality systems , and I have like 11 years experience of game programming on different consoles, like MSX computers (basic + assembly), NES (Assembly), MS-DOS (C/C++ and x86 Assembly), and lately XNA 3.0. I never got time to learn how to program games under windows using C++. recently, I have finished the C++ 2 courses of the Game Institute, and I am studying the graphics courses now, it's pretty easy actually. So, let's say like 2 years from now, what kind of a video game programming job I can find???

are these requirements good to be hired in a game company??

not to mention I got experience with electronics, circuits, processors, advanced math, since I studied engineering.

I also got a stuttering issue when I talk, so is this a big deal or what??

how much is the payment (average)?? (I read the Faq, but I want an average payment).

and finally, I know my story is boring ;-) but I just want to take your opinions in this.
and Many Thanks in advance,,
Advertisement

Hey guys..

I am actually a computer engineer in the first place, I got an M.Sc in Virtual Reality systems , and I have like 11 years experience of game programming on different consoles, like MSX computers (basic + assembly), NES (Assembly), MS-DOS (C/C++ and x86 Assembly), and lately XNA 3.0. I never got time to learn how to program games under windows using C++. recently, I have finished the C++ 2 courses of the Game Institute, and I am studying the graphics courses now, it's pretty easy actually. So, let's say like 2 years from now, what kind of a video game programming job I can find???

are these requirements good to be hired in a game company??

not to mention I got experience with electronics, circuits, processors, advanced math, since I studied engineering.

how much is the payment (average)?? (I read the Faq, but I want an average payment).

and finally, I know my story is boring ;-) but I just want to take your opinions in this.
and Many Thanks in advance,,

Shouldn't have trouble getting a job. If you do, at-least you know it's not because of lack of effort or experience. mellow.gif

Has it been in the past?ohmy.gif
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
Ah ok, I am a heavy worker when it comes to games programming, and I got experience and working big demos used for my M.Sc project.

well, the stuttering issue is with me since I was like in elementary school, and I still stutter mostly at the first 10 minutes of talking then it becomes lighter or disappears.
I read somewhere that they can't discriminate you because of a thing like this according to civil rights act.

Thanks....and appreciated for any other info.

appreciated for any other info.

Have you read this forum's FAQs yet?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

actually I read "The business of game development" forum FAQ, and my thread moved from there I will check that out, but my questions was just about the general requirements for applying for a job like this.

somewhere I read that a C/C++ and a background in game developement under any system ; can get you a job especially for console games programming.

Thanks
Yes, you can. What YOU need are:
- an up-to-date portfolio
- a valid work visa (or equivalent legal necessities for working in the US)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom for the great help. :)
FYI, Every US State except Montana utilizes the "at will employment" doctrine that means an employer (or employee) may end the employment at anytime, for any reason.

Discrimination is one of few exceptions to this rule, but its very hard to convict any remotely intelligent employer of discrimination because he can simply say "we fired him because he wasn't a good fit for our company" which is a valid excuse.

Not trying to discourage or attack, just inform :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement