🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Programmer Name Confusion

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 13 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys,

Here’s something that’s driving me crazy, there are so many names for programmers and I don’t know what the exact differences are, or if there even is any. For example, there is, Software Developer, Software Engineer, Software Architect and Programmer. So what in the world are the differences?

I’ve checked many sites and everyone seems to give a different answer, there is not one definition that everyone agrees on. I notice many game companies refer to their programming jobs as “Software Engineer.” Sometimes I see programmer but I’ve never seen anything else like Software Architect.

Are these just fancy words for the same thing? Or do they actually have important differences? Thanks
Advertisement

Are these just fancy words for the same thing? Or do they actually have important differences? Thanks

The only surefire important difference is the architect title. It is generally for someone who primarily does large system design, rather than implementation. It is generally a position to advance beyond Sr. Software Engineer for those not suited for team lead/management. Occasionally the team lead responsibilities are rolled into it.

Some places consider Programmer to be a bit more derogatory/grunt work than Software Engineer, but in general they refer to the same positions.
It's not a "name," it's a "title." This link may help. (Click "Programming.")

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement