🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Writing Game Story Systems, not Stories

Started by
-1 comments, last by Orymus 12 years, 11 months ago
Recently, I've read this article:
http://literatigamer...no-trigger.html

I won't say that it was a blast from oblivion that opened my eyes, but it certainly helped me put words on things I had felt in the past. Things that emanated from a game. Feelings that stirred despite a very average scenario.
I've extended the idea that is explained in this article and realized that games such as Radiant Historia or even Metroidvania games had the same 'systemic' principle.
And obviously, I have found out that this is what made me tick in a game. The idea that I had all elements unravel before me and that it was up to me to assemble them into a way or another and measure the outcome.

These ideas differ greatly from general narrative because it can be very hard to define all specific endpoints at which a given player might chose to face the final boss when given the opportunity to do it nearly from the get-go. So many events can happen in a different order or not happen at all that it is very hard to keep a strong narrative.

I was wondering if someone was currently working (or has worked) into a game story based on systems rather than narrative?
If so, do you guys have any pointers, thoughts, ways to make it work, enhance, etc.

Regards,

Orymus.
The fact you were there before they invented the wheel doesn't make you any better than the wheel nor does it entitle you to claim property over the wheel. Being there at the right time just isn't enough, you need to take part into it.

I have a blog!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement