🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this good portfolio material?

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 7 months ago
I have coded the AI soccer simulation project from the book "Programming Game AI by Example" with C# and XNA. Should I mention this personal project in my cv? I can mention in short that I used finite state-machines for agent behavior and communication between agents and steering behaviors. So those are the three "hot" points in that project: 1. finite state machine agents 2. inter agent communication 3. steering behaviors

Another project is the Raven project in the same book. The "hot" points there are: 1. Sophisticated path planning 2. Goal-driven agents 3. Fuzzy Logic

Another project I had is I did a 2d space shooter, but completely from scratch, I did the whole engine myself with Tao library. I did the low level stuff like linear algebra operations, texture and sound loading, game loop and state managment, save/load system... The game has collisions, explosions, sound, level transitions, Bezier splines, and so on I could get some "hot" points here too.

I then moved to XNA and Unity and did some cool games there too, I did all 4 games from the book XNA by Example. I guess I could pick some "hot" points and mention them in short.

I am attending Stanford's online courses AI and Machine Learning now and so far I have 100% at homeworks and other assignments in both classes. At the end I will get a certificate for both courses.

I could mention these in "Personal Projects" section in my cv or resume. Let me know if it is at least ok material, for a student preparing to hunt for game jobs in last college year. I have other projects but game related, only the above.

Thanks
Advertisement
Student projects (projects made during the course of study, as class assignments or study projects) - as a general rule - do not make good portfolio material.

A portfolio should demonstrate and showcase mastery of the tools. Projects made while learning the tools generally don't show mastery - they show a learning process.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement