🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is IB worth it?

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I am a grade 10 student and I was wondering if IB is worth it if I plan on getting into game dev into the future? I don't wanna take if its not required because it forces me to take franch and I'm REALLY bad at it but the only thing I think may help is the IB math? Also I only get one elective for grade 11, any suggestions on what I should pick?
Advertisement
What is IB?

What is IB?

I guess he's referring to International baccalaureate.
If I'm right about that then the simple answer is no you don't have to. But IB is a good course if you can take it. I don't know if they have access to Computer science classes though. From what i hear the classes can differ from town to town.
Yes, I was talking about international baccalaureate program. At my school CS isn't offered as an IB course, it is just an open course that anyone can take, but math is an IB course, and that is the only course that I think may help later on? I don't really see the point of history IB if I want to be a game developer, or science but if I am to do IB I must take all these courses as IB as well :/

Yes, I was talking about international baccalaureate program. At my school CS isn't offered as an IB course, it is just an open course that anyone can take, but math is an IB course, and that is the only course that I think may help later on? I don't really see the point of history IB if I want to be a game developer, or science but if I am to do IB I must take all these courses as IB as well :/

Question to you "In what field do you wanna work in?"

This is merely my opinion. I could be right and/or wrong here.
There are quite a few fields in game dev. There is the programmers, the art people and the designers. (Many more positions in reality these are the 3 basic groups that people tend to aim for). IB is a very academic programme. And in my opinion i believe IB is good for you if your going to be a designer. As you'll learn alot about religion, history and society depending in your choices.
But if you aim to be creative with 3D modelling and the alike or want to programme things then I wouldn't recommend it. If your Aiming for arts then choose a programme that makes you able to improve your art skills. Or if you wanna be a programmer then choose something that is technical and math intensive as it will help with your programming skills later on.
Chosen1,
You should read the FAQs. Scroll up and click the FAQs link. The answers to many questions contained in your question can be found there.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement