🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

trying to get a job in another country

Started by
12 comments, last by AmitOfer 12 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I was wondering about the procedure of applying for a job in the game industry in another country.
I live in israel and there aren't any major game development companies here. I was thinking of trying my luck someday in the us or Canada (or possibly Europe).
My question is how do you start interviewing for a position in a different country? is it common to have interviews over skype or something like that? or do you actually have to stay for like a month in the country and try to get as much interviews as you can? also do you think game companies will hire someone from abroad? I mean why would they start messing with visa and stuff when they can hire someone local.

I want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Amit
Advertisement
I went through a lot of reading on this matter, as i am currently in the same boat. Germany is not exactly the industrys heaven, we only got a good bunch of very small companys.

As for working in a different country, it depens a lot on your skills. If you are good at your field, and have something to show your skills, then its possible that someone is going to give you a hand with relocating. If you dont have much to show, then make more. If you lack the skills as an Artist or Programmer, and want to start in QA, then you got a problem. Without any good contacts or expirience, its extremly unlikley that someone is going through all the visa and relocation work for you.

Make your resume/CV and Cover Letter shine, and fire it out. Only way to know for sure is to try, hard. Thats propably the safe route.
Or, go the crazy way, obtain a work visa in the US, pack some stuff, sell everything else, fly over and nock at doors.

In any way, there is only one thing that can stop you, and that is yourself.
the US is that country that have more companies of videogames in the world I think that its the best choise
There are links to articles about this exact question in this forum's FAQs.
Scroll up and click the FAQs link.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks, I don't really have a lot of experience at game programming. I made one simple android game as part of a game design course and I'm working on something new now.
I have a degree in software engineering and have been working as a professional software engineer for the past year.
I'm sorry but the FAQ didn't help one bit, I wanted to hear people's opinions.
Thanks
Well, first off, do you have the relevant experience to perform professional work in a game development studio? Second, where is your CV and why haven't you put it up here so we can look at it?
As for your other questions:

[color="#1C2837"]

1) I live in israel and there aren't any major game development companies here. I was thinking of trying my luck someday in the us or Canada (or possibly Europe).

[color="#1C2837"]

2) how do you start interviewing for a position in a different country?

[color="#1C2837"]

3) is it common to have interviews over skype or something like that?

[color="#1C2837"]

4) do you actually have to stay for like a month in the country and try to get as much interviews as you can?

[color="#1C2837"]

5) do you think game companies will hire someone from abroad?

[color="#1C2837"]

6) why would they start messing with visa and stuff when they can hire someone local.

[/quote]
1) OK. Are you ready to move?
2) You apply just like a national would, by finding a job opening and sending out your CV. Through contacts. Etc. -- Tom's got this pretty well covered.
3) Depends. It happens, but if they want to interview you, they will probably want to do it in person. Reasoning for this is that an interview is to get to know you and your skillset firsthand -- a phone interview can happen, sure, but personal interview face-to-face are much more common before pushing ahead and actually signing an agreement. This is another part of the screening process that happens after you've fished around with your CV or picked up a contact.
4) Moving is something you'll have to do either way once you've gotten the position, so sure -- it's easier for them if you move first. But that can be hard in terms of getting a VISA etc. without a job lined up, so it depends on your background and what your options are.
5) Yes.
6) Because that person demonstrates exceptional skill that they are willing to import; why else?
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2]."

[size=2]~ [size=1]Antheus

2) how do you start interviewing for a position in a different country?
3) is it common to have interviews over skype or something like that?
4) do you actually have to stay for like a month in the country and try to get as much interviews as you can?
5) do you think game companies will hire someone from abroad?
6) why would they start messing with visa and stuff when they can hire someone local.
7) I'm sorry but the FAQ didn't help one bit,
8) I wanted to hear people's opinions.[/quote]
2. You probably don’t. Because, as it says in the FAQs, you need to be local, especially if you’re looking for an entry-level position.
3. No, it isn’t common, especially for entry-level positions.
4. No. You need to move permanently, before applying.
5. No, as it says in the FAQs, I don’t.
6. They won’t. Unless they can't find anyone local, or the candidate is exceptional and has valuable experience and credentials.
7. I’m sorry and surprised to hear you say that. Because I’m certain these questions were addressed therein.
8. The FAQs contain opinions, based on much actual experience in the game industry.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I am currently living in austria. I am only 16 but i want to jump into games industry after studying.
Are there any good video game companies in austria/germany?
If I, only hyphotetical, would´ve developed a mmo or a good indie shooter in my leisure time, how would this increase my chance in getting a job in the USA or a foreign country?

I am currently living in austria. I am only 16 but i want to jump into games industry after studying.
Are there any good video game companies in austria/germany?
If I, only hyphotetical, would´ve developed a mmo or a good indie shooter in my leisure time, how would this increase my chance in getting a job in the USA or a foreign country?

Your chances quite increase when you've created and finished a game.
However, mentioning something along the lines of "I'm working on an MMO" is a good way to get laughed out of the door.
Take a look at the Help Wanted forum and the general reactions posted to 'MMO' threads.

Don't worry about the 'getting a job' part for now. You're young and still have a ton to learn.
Get good at what you do first, worry about getting a job later.

And read the FAQ, all your questions are covered in much greater detail there.
Remco van Oosterhout, game programmer.
My posts are my own and don't reflect the opinion of my employer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement