🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectSound and General Audio Programming Help

Started by
1 comment, last by Coconut 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me find a usefull and comprehensive tutorial on DirectX Audio programming? I''m 100% new to Audio programming in general, and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Brent Robinson BTW: I don''t really want code, I just want some direction for my research, as I''m tasked with producing an Audio engine/wrapper for a game.
"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone is the lawgiver...No playwright, no stage director, no emperor, however powerful, has ever exercised such absolute athority to arrange a stage or a field of battle and to command such unswervingly dutiful actors or troops." - Joseph Weizenbaum-Brent Robinson
Advertisement
If you''re using DirectX8 (and you should be), I reccomend reading the DirectAudio tutorials that come with the SDK. Unlike some of the other tutorials, these are actually quite good.

-Forcas

"Elvis is alive. He is Barney the purple dinosaur. He is the pied piper that leads our children into the wages of sin and eternal damnation."

-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
Open Sound System (OSS) is fairly well documented and in many cases works better than direct sound. It''s like OpenGL in that it works well on Linux and developed by an open community. So basically here is how to make your sound work in Linux:

To use OSS in your C programs:

//following madatory standard includes
#include
#include
#include
#include

//madatory variable defs
#define BUF_SIZE 4096
int audio_fd;
unsigned char audio_buffer[BUF_SIZE];

After this, you have all the tools necessary to build anything from a midi player to the latest and greatest mpeg full duplex audio enabled feature. It''s probably a bit more low level an answer than you were looking for (i.e. you were probably asking "how do I play a wav file from my C proggie), but then, getting down to the "nitty gritty" has so many more benifits.
best of luck!!

consiousness is that annoying thing between naps.
consiousness is that annoying thing between naps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement