🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The best audio file format.

Started by
20 comments, last by GaMe wIg 22 years, 8 months ago
quote: Original post by Dolamite
I''ve been playing around with ogg, and the sound quality for low bitrate files (64k, 80k) is much better than MP3 files. It seems to take much longer to encode them, however.

It''s been a while since I went about encoding either MP3''s or OGG''s, but from what I remember that OGG Encoder was a little slower (it may be different now, I don''t personally know). Although, this is to be expected since it is a newer format and the methods for optimizing it aren''t as common knowledge as with MP3''s encoders, the OGG Vorbis website even brings this up. It''s bound to get better as it matures though .

Off topic: yeah, this is the longest thread in Music and Sound I remember .

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
Advertisement

I don''t really care about encoding time. =) I would rather use ogg, for both philosophical reasons and because of the better quality/filezise. My largest worry is that vorbis takes many more CPU cycles to decode than mp3. I hacked in some cheesey mp3 support w/o any appreciable loss in FPS. If vorbis causes the game to chug, then mp3 may need to be used instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement