Advertisement

Graduating soon... Don't know where to look

Started by December 16, 2012 09:39 PM
5 comments, last by KromMagnus 11 years, 8 months ago
I'll be graduating soon, getting my degree in Game Development. But, I haven't got the slightest clue where to look for a job. I don't care what it is as long as it starts my career.

I don't know if they give us tips or anything upon graduation... but, I was hoping I could get a little help on where to look online, who to call, or email.

I know about gamasutra.com, but I know there's more ways than that.
I'll be graduating soon, getting my degree in Game Development. But, I haven't got the slightest clue where to look for a job. I don't care what it is as long as it starts my career.

Read these:
http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson24.htm
http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson27.htm
http://gamedevmap.com/
http://gameindustrymap.com/
http://sloperama.com/advice/jobapp.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement
One thing that helps quite a bit is to make some games. Basically, just make some simple games that showcase that you can do at least the basics. Document the project online as part of your portfolio, as you progress. Build a good resume/cv. Then start applying to various companies directly. Sometimes it helps to apply to the lesser known companies first to get your in.

I got my start in the Games industry almost 8 years ago and have been at the job ever since. If you want, I could forward your Resume/CV to our HR department, sometimes all it takes is a little help to get started. At our last company meeting, the owner stated that we are currently looking for people to hire for both experienced and entry level positions. The main requirement is for a good base in C++ skills. Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like me to send along your credentials.
i've only been working for 9 months so far but by the time i got my first game dev job it was 6 months after classes ended( 1 month after graduation) and in that span of time i sent out at least 200 resumes. the sites i used to submit my resume were mainly game dev map, i posted my resume on gamasutra, i even posted my resume on craigslist.. which i can't necessarily argue against but i would definitely be careful about because there is a hot demand for people who make games and even more so a desire for someone who can make a game cheaply . but KromMagnus hit the nail on the head by saying your best bet is to make games. My portfolio may not be the MOST beautiful thing in the world but I took a ton of screenshots and videos of small projects i did in my free time , It lets people know you actually can make games and not just want to. I read on another forum that game industry jobs are just " too sexy" to hire people on their resume alone and that is where having games on your portfolio comes in handy they are essentially "live " demonstrations of what you can do . before I got my job i had 5 phone interviews and had 4 in-person interviews at studios. So if you're keeping score I got my first job after 200 resumes, 9 unsuccessful ( in terms of getting the job) interviews, and 6 months of trying. if anything i would say never give up and stay encouraged it's a competitive industry and breaking in is the hardest hump to get over( i was laid off and re-hired for a new job within a month) but it is tremendously rewarding and even better you already know of great resources to get help if you need it ( like here!) . good luck ! and please feel free to message me if you have any other questions for a fellow industry youngling.

I got my start in the Games industry almost 8 years ago and have been at the job ever since. If you want, I could forward your Resume/CV to our HR department, sometimes all it takes is a little help to get started. At our last company meeting, the owner stated that we are currently looking for people to hire for both experienced and entry level positions. The main requirement is for a good base in C++ skills. Let me know if you have any questions or if you would like me to send along your credentials.

Well... I'm still in school for a few months, so I don't think I can apply right now. But,I would love to keep in contact with you! I still haven't made a portfolio, but I have some things to put in one and I'm always making something to show off to friends, sometimes they're portfolio worthy lol. I've been programming in C++ for almost 8 years now (and still learning new things about it all the time).

@Jon
I'm actually trying to get myself totally prepared to do exactly what you did, hope I have just as much luck as you. I get nervous thinking about it lol.

Well... I'm still in school for a few months, so I don't think I can apply right now.

Don't be so sure! I started applying for (chiefly non-videogame, but it's still relevant) jobs at the beginning of my last semester at college. I sent out something like 70 applications; the job I ended up accepting, I was offered in April, with a start-time in June. I'd suggest whatever you do, start doing it soon.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

Advertisement

[quote name='Muzzy A' timestamp='1355978440' post='5012705']
Well... I'm still in school for a few months, so I don't think I can apply right now. But,I would love to keep in contact with you! I still haven't made a portfolio, but I have some things to put in one and I'm always making something to show off to friends, sometimes they're portfolio worthy lol. I've been programming in C++ for almost 8 years now (and still learning new things about it all the time).

[/quote]

Like Paul said, it is never too early to start getting yourself out there in front of the companies that you have some interest in working with. If anything it will give you practice with the application process and give you some experience with things such as the tests that a lot of game dev employers send out. It will also give you a chance to fine tune your resume/cv. It could also lead to building a pre-working relationship with a company and further smooth your transistion into the workforce.

Keep in contact and send along a few links to things you have worked on and perhaps your resume/cv. Oh, and anytime Tom gives advice, listen to it, he knows his stuff and I have a few coworkers who have read his FAQ.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement