Advertisement

Am i too young ?

Started by April 07, 2013 08:26 PM
22 comments, last by powerneg 11 years, 5 months ago

im 17 and am a semi proffesional EU halo player,im wondering if im too young to start game developing for a simple game

Hopefully you have already read this elsewhere...

PLAYING games and MAKING games are completely different.

Just like WATCHING movies and MAKING movies are different.

It is nice that you are a consumer of games. So are most people. Good game developers need to see what other games are doing, but that is not their primary focus.

Ive been designing my game for a day or so just drawing weapons items and ect and through out these days im going to learn C++ for the first time so what are your opinions on this ?

Like above, you really need to go read the Forum FAQ.

You list three jobs. You only get one.

Designing is a job in the industry. Game designer is typically not an entry level position. Everybody has ideas for games. Read the first section of the forum FAQ about jobs.

Artist is another job family in the industry and there are occasionally entry level positions. Do you like art? Can you make art all day, five days a week? Perhaps with a few years of practice and training and college preparation you could get your skills up.

Programming is yet another job family in the industry and there are sometimes entry level positions. Do you like programming? Can you program and think logically all day, five days a week? Just like with the others, you will need practice and training.

and am a semi proffesional EU halo player

Irrelevant to game development. I know there is a culture out there that believes you need to be an avid/pro gamer in order to be efficient at game development, but that is purely untrue. While I fully embrace the gamer culture and spend a lot of time playing games, I've been constantly in contact with tremendously efficient game developers that don't actually play games (and gamer-developers that are not efficient as well). Basically, there's simply no correlation there from my experience.

It IS required however, to understand gameplay. Playing a game does not guarantee you understand what makes it "tick".

im wondering if im too young to start game developing for a simple game obviously

Coded my first game at age 9. From my perspective, you'd actually be too old ;)

I just want a break from the game atm.

If this is the intend, why not just choose a sport?

By choosing to delve into game development as a reaction to taking a break from a game, you'll probably end up designing a game that's very similar to the game you're playing, except, well, assessing everything you think is wrong with the game. A lot of bad ideas started that way :)

Ive been designing my game for a day or so just drawing weapons items and ect

If you're doing this to establish the background, that's fine, but if you're actually focusin on the actual weapons you'll see in the game, then you're doing things out of order. Designing low-level components (weapons for example) is creating content for a game. Normally, you create content to populate your game environment. From your post above, you've yet to create the game setting/gameplay/etc, so how can you insure your weapons will fill a purpose within that game ecosystem?

im going to learn C++ for the first time so what are your opinions on this

Go ahead. It will take a lot of time and effort, but its worth the try. Some people will advise to start with something smaller because there is a risk you will find it a steep learning curve, but at the same time, it will instantly let you know if this is something you have the patience for.

im also working on this by my own because my friend thinks its a waste of time;he also is a semi proffesional EU halo player.

Congrats, you have just made the first step towards being a game developer: no one around you will seem to "get" why you're struggling with this. So long as its relevant to you, keep going at it.

Advertisement

Irrelevant to game development. I know there is a culture out there that believes you need to be an avid/pro gamer in order to be efficient at game development, but that is purely untrue. While I fully embrace the gamer culture and spend a lot of time playing games, I've been constantly in contact with tremendously efficient game developers that don't actually play games (and gamer-developers that are not efficient as well). Basically, there's simply no correlation there from my experience.

It IS required however, to understand gameplay. Playing a game does not guarantee you understand what makes it "tick".

>im wondering if im too young to start game developing for a simple game obviously

Coded my first game at age 9. From my perspective, you'd actually be too old ;)

I just want a break from the game atm.

If this is the intend, why not just choose a sport?

By choosing to delve into game development as a reaction to taking a break from a game, you'll probably end up designing a game that's very similar to the game you're playing, except, well, assessing everything you think is wrong with the game. A lot of bad ideas started that way smile.png

Ive been designing my game for a day or so just drawing weapons items and ect

If you're doing this to establish the background, that's fine, but if you're actually focusin on the actual weapons you'll see in the game, then you're doing things out of order. Designing low-level components (weapons for example) is creating content for a game. Normally, you create content to populate your game environment. From your post above, you've yet to create the game setting/gameplay/etc, so how can you insure your weapons will fill a purpose within that game ecosystem?

im going to learn C++ for the first time so what are your opinions on this

Go ahead. It will take a lot of time and effort, but its worth the try. Some people will advise to start with something smaller because there is a risk you will find it a steep learning curve, but at the same time, it will instantly let you know if this is something you have the patience for.

im also working on this by my own because my friend thinks its a waste of time;he also is a semi proffesional EU halo player.

Congrats, you have just made the first step towards being a game developer: no one around you will seem to "get" why you're struggling with this. So long as its relevant to you, keep going at it.

wow this community is so helpful thankyou very much :)
I've recently got with a group of people from this website and i am now there concept artist for weapons and maybe armour.

VitVito, on 07 Apr 2013 - 22:24, said:

Irrelevant to game development.

not entirely true, for a balanced competitive game this is a nice skill(although it s better for the play-testers, and i presume a lot of gamers have made some connection between gaming and game-design while they actually suck at design)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement