🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Could Someone Help? :o

Started by
5 comments, last by Polama 8 years, 5 months ago

Oh, Hi. New to the forum, I'm kind of a beginner at this world of writting for games and I was working around a concept and I thought I could share and maybe hear some constructive critics or ideas or actually anything useful to it.

A shadowy demon drags people to a small domain, challenging them to survive and fight for their souls, while feeding on their pain and despair. The MC and the teamates are chosen at the start. 5 out of 13 Unique Characters with different roles, ideals and abilities.

The Shadow's rules are simple, survive with the little that you have in this domain. Each week a giant door-like portal opens and allow the adventurers to explore the dungeons, with the idea of leveling up, getting new skills and farming resources for your team.

Each dungeon has different floors and cannot be explored in one day. The portal leads to a different and random dungeon every week, but the monsters scale with your level, but still kinda grindy cause bosses usually will be +3~5 of your level.

After completing a certain ammount of dungeons, the Shadow's dungeon will be added to the portal, although its still random to appear. Once it appears, the prelude to the end starts. Facing the Shadow reveals its true intentions. Killing him allows the player to return to the world, but he still has access to the domain, if he wants to play around the dungeons.

Its kinda quirky, its like, a 2 day concept. I have this kind of short-quick concept spam. Pardon my english tho, not American and I don't have english classes so...

Advertisement
I like where this is going.

If you read up on ancient theology, you'll find that many religions have or had a belief in several layers of hell each with their own torments, some worse than others.

These would be great as an inspiration for your dungeons, e.g.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=levels+of+hell+in+ancient+religions

Some things people believed in were more than a bit messed up :)

That'd be great. The main idea is like an endless dungeon crawling simulator. Imagine like making your team super powerful, but since the dungeon would all scale as well, nothing would be too easy. One of the ideas for the dungeon is a giant dollhouse, a torture chamber with lusty female monsters and even a clock tower with mechanical beings.

If your question is about the story/setup and the characters, this (Writing) is the proper forum for your question. If you have questions about the interactivity and the gameplay, please post those questions in the Game Design forum. Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Yeh question was like if people would like to see this kind of stuff, an endless dungeon-crawling. Since the end of the game does not mess up with the lore, if I post it on Steam I could update with new dungeons and characters and what not.

Yeh question was like if people would like to see this kind of stuff, an endless dungeon-crawling. Since the end of the game does not mess up with the lore, if I post it on Steam I could update with new dungeons and characters and what not.

If you're putting new content, dungeons etc people would definitely like it everyone loves games that are regularly updated as they don't get old as fast

An interesting twist could be to have the Shadow Demon set people against each other. You have your team of 5 characters but there are a number of other groups also trapped in the realm. During dungeon exploration you're gaining equipment and skills, then when the dungeon doors shut you're trapped in a cramped realm with other groups out to kill you. The last group remaining is freed. Story-wise, the demon is especially happy feeding on pain inflicted by mortals against each other in its realm.

Then the player can focus on leveling up, defeating the other parties and escaping. Or they can focus on dungeon quests of some variety, to work towards unlocking the Shadow Demon's dungeon. Focusing on the demon achieves a better ending, but leaves you less equipped for combat against the other humans.

(as an aside, I've always been interested in designing RPG's that make charisma a useful stat. This could be an opportunity for that, where high charisma makes it possible to achieve truces with other parties, make trades, even recruit them to your view of defeating the Shadow Demon instead of each other).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement