🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Creating music for the game trailer

Started by
4 comments, last by akaudio 6 years, 11 months ago

Hi, my name is Alex Mars from sound design studio AK Audio

A few days ago I was working on creating audio for the trailer of the video game called "Roundrick". It was quite challenging for me. In this video, I will show you the way I've made music.

Advertisement

I loved the music in your trailer - nice job! Did you do any music for the game itself? And if so, did you borrow or quote any of those melodies in the trailer? 

Another possible solution for mixing the sound design and music together would be to side chain a multi-band compressor and have it scoop out the music's mids and lower-mids just a bit each time a SFX is played. When set right, this can really help make both elements have their space while remaining full and rich. 

Very nice sound! 

Thanks, 

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

39 minutes ago, nsmadsen said:

I loved the music in your trailer - nice job! Did you do any music for the game itself? And if so, did you borrow or quote any of those melodies in the trailer? 

Another possible solution for mixing the sound design and music together would be to side chain a multi-band compressor and have it scoop out the music's mids and lower-mids just a bit each time a SFX is played. When set right, this can really help make both elements have their space while remaining full and rich. 

Very nice sound! 

Thanks, 

Nate

Thanks, Nate. Glad you liked it. Yeah, I've done every single note and sound in the game. You can watch the video about interactive music I've done for the music: 

All these melodies and chords in the trailer done by myself.

3 hours ago, akaudio said:

Thanks, Nate. Glad you liked it. Yeah, I've done every single note and sound in the game. You can watch the video about interactive music I've done for the music: 

All these melodies and chords in the trailer done by myself.

Cool! So then what about my question - did you quote any of the in-game melodies when you were doing the trailer music? I've found that to be very effective. But there were times, for example when I was at FUNimation doing all of their in-house trailers and features for their anime shows, that I would create new melodies and themes outside of the anime IP. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hey, Nate

Thanks for your question. I didn't use any of in-game music tunes. I think this is because I wanted to create something new. This video should be is about 20-30 seconds. it's hard to use any leitmotifs here I guess. My main goal there was to make feeling that you played the game while you watching this video to make you download the game. So music should be nice, fast, fun. 

I think you had a fun time in FUNimation. I never worked with anime cartoons before, but I bet it's cool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement