🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Thoughts on the Neumann U87 on voice talent riders?

Started by
12 comments, last by Promit 6 years, 9 months ago

I dunno about laughing in people's faces, but I've met tons of musicians (who lack any audio engineering knowledge) who are convinced that their way of doing things is the only way to accomplish something (like a 57 right up on the grill of a guitar cab), when there's clearly a ton of different ways to approach recording.  I'm not at a level where I deal with anyone who would have enough clout to come with riders, but I do think that specific mic choices are mostly inappropriate to take out of the hands of the engineer.  Just my two cents.

Advertisement
On 10/4/2017 at 4:49 PM, Promit said:

Given that, I'm puzzled that people would let the actor dictate sound engineering choices.

But if you're doing this for real, surely the sound engineer owns the chain, not the actor. Do what any real studio does - take some time to run tests with half a dozen different mics and however many preamps, bring the talent in to listen to the recording coming through the monitors*, and figure out what fits with what the actor and dialogue supervisor are trying to accomplish.

* Ideally, don't let people know what mic or preamp they're listening to when comparing. If you can double blind it, even better. You are listening to recordings and tonality, not brand names and model numbers.

That was coming from upstairs in the dialogue department. Not the VO artist. I told them I'd have one for them if they felt it was necessary. If they're really that nit picky about it, I figured worst case scenario, I'd order one from guitar center then return it.

They had said they'd fly the actors out to my location then the director would possibly remote in over Source Connect. I'm not sure how much point there is in dicking around with 5 mics unless the U87 for some reason sounds bad off the cuff. I dunno. 

...by the way, I haven't heard back from this group. I didn't chase this contract aggressively...rule of thumb: if you smell B.S., proceed with caution lol...right? :D 

This is my placeholder signature

Well, if the dialogue people are demanding stuff... they're the ones paying the bills, I suppose. Wrong approach to things IMO, but whatcha gonna do.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement