🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Practicing Middleware/Interactive music

Started by
5 comments, last by jkuehlin 6 years, 7 months ago

Hello,

I'm trying to get familiar with making interactive music via middlewares, but I'm not in projects that use this tools currently.

So, I was wondering if someone can recommend me a way to practice things like layering, combining loops, transitions in a middleware without the need to be in a project that use middlewares.

I would like to train this before I get to a project that actually use this technology, as an anticipation. Because maybe then I will be overworked if I have to learn everything having a deadline.

Thanks ^^,

Albert.

Advertisement

Some middleware apps come with tutorial projects that you can load sounds into and run. That would be one way to get around it. I've also seen games where you could purchase the code and change out sounds and such to make that work as well. It depends on what middleware you're in and what they offer. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Depending on what middleware you're practicing I'd consider starting up your own project in a free engine like Unity or Unreal Engine. You could set up a simple set of triggers in this engine and use them to test whatever you're practicing. This would also teach you a little about implementing the interactive music into these engines which may be useful in the future.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy you could try to find creative ways to simulate a game environment. Have a friend tweak variables as you listen, things like that. 

On 10/23/2017 at 4:22 PM, AFV said:

I would like to train this before I get to a project that actually use this technology, as an anticipation. Because maybe then I will be overworked if I have to learn everything having a deadline.

Is your problem the middleware workflow, knowledge of audio editing tools, or the actual music aspect?

This is my placeholder signature
3 hours ago, jkuehlin said:

Is your problem the middleware workflow, knowledge of audio editing tools, or the actual music aspect?

I've never used a middleware.

I've made interactive music sending the developer various audio files that needed to be muted or unmuted depending on the gameplay.

so, what I need more is the middleware workflow, implementing, etc...

I see. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I'm about to in the next few weeks. I'm just now beginning to experiment with middleware.

@AFV, i'll tell you how I was planning on 'practicing' for myself...My plans was to use that stupid ass roll-a-ball demo from the Unity shop and just make random zones and change music up when the ball rolls over difference place on the map or runs into different objects. Does anyone else know if there is a reason that won't work? What I really want to know how to implement is cue-ing additional multi-track stems under certain game conditions, then withdrawing them under contrasting conditions.

I understand what you're asking about layering loops, and I'm anxious to get in there and screw with this stuff myself. I personally don't give a shit I'm practicing on, because I figured the mechanics of the technology are what you would end up applying to a paid project later anyway. @nsmadsen, why do you have to buy a game to practice this stuff? Can't you do this with the already finished tutorials on the Unity site? You can download the finished game and you have access to all the code.

...and AFV, one other thing I was wanting to do was add and subtract multi-stem loop layers independently of zones. For example, if a players hit points drop below 'x', then the music speeds up as he's about to die...or the music gets heavier as the players life gets lower. I can conceptualize this, but if anyone else has actually done this in Wwise, and wants to share the process, I'd love to hear it!

This is my placeholder signature

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement