🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New to Forum - Feedback on Current Musical Ability

Started by
6 comments, last by nsmadsen 5 years, 10 months ago

Hi guys new to the forums and am looking forward to meeting some new people :D Doing music for games is something I would really like to do one day but for the moment I would like some feedback on my music and ways to improve it. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, I enjoy doing ambient styled music and soon going to start teaching myself to read music and have lessons on composing theory.

Also I know this is a game dev forum but are collaborations quite common here?

Emerald Eyes.mp3

walking around part 2.mp3

Advertisement

I really like the second song!

View my game dev blog here!

9 hours ago, President Rodgers said:

are collaborations quite common here?

Use the Hobby Project Classifieds for finding collaborators.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom, I think he's asking for music collaborations, not gaming projects - given the first part of his sentence. 

President Rodgers - Link your music to Youtube or Soundcloud. You'll get a ton more listens that way. Folks don't usually want to download people's files. 

Emerald Eyes - interesting groove and vibe. The synth "mouth" type part gets a bit annoying after a while. I don't feel like it adds that much to your song. Overall, this music feels pretty generic to be honest. I mean that in the sense that there's not a super strong melodic theme or branding component to it. Instead this music could be great filler music to make a certain mood in a level but wouldn't work as well as the main theme for a video game. You get what I'm saying? 

Also your bass is pretty high in the mix. It's making some things a bit muddy. 

Hope that helps! Thanks for sharing!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thank you for the replies and feedback, The music was written as more background music but do you have any tips on how to develop a stronger theme throughout a song? I only started composing last year and this is an area I seem to struggle with.

5 hours ago, President Rodgers said:

Thank you for the replies and feedback, The music was written as more background music but do you have any tips on how to develop a stronger theme throughout a song? I only started composing last year and this is an area I seem to struggle with.

Play chords with your left hand and try to come up with something memorable on your right hand. Try to use same material but just develop and variate them. There are tons of books/videos on this subject if you really want to get in to it!

www.laurikoivisto.com

You can also sometimes just do melodies by themselves. Get them down on paper or recorded via MIDI or audio then figure out chords and arrangement later. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement