🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Text to Voice converter?

Started by
4 comments, last by ddabrahim 5 years, 10 months ago

Hi all!

I'm looking for a software that I can use to convert text to a human male and female voice and then save it to an audio file.

I was searching online and did find many converter. But they are not clear regarding that if I can use the audio files for commercial purposes or not.

Could anyone recommend any software that I can definitely use for commercial purposes?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Advertisement

I did get this link on an other forum
https://acapela-box.com

It is not free, but really good and not too expensive. The best part we can listen to any text for free and need to pay only if we want to download and we are paying for each character. You get 700+ points for 6 euros which is worth 700+ character with a normal voice or 350+ with a premium voice. Once you know exactly what sort of voice you need which is free to try, it is plenty and very cheap in my opinion. Other services charge you a monthly fee even to just listen to a text.

Also, remember for the money the sound files can be used for commercial purposes, free services out there don't give you permission to use the sound files for commercial purposes.

Wrong forum? It looks like you are announcing the web page, so the Your  Announcement forum is what you are looking for.

Personally when it comes to voice acting I am a all or nothing kind of person. Text to speech software like this just makes a game feel cheap.

If, for some reason, you want to use text-to-speech conversion in your game, then you really want to do this in your actual game software, at runtime, instead of pregenerating the audio on some sort of website.  Audio files are huge and therefore expensive to distribute, and generating the text at runtime allows you to customize the text to a much higher degree.

@Scouting Ninja

I'm not announcing the website, only sharing as I asked this question on multiple forums, but I got only 1 answer, the above. That's why I share it to help others. I also did not find any better, so far it is seems the best solution when it comes to quality and price that is why I do hype the website a little :) Regarding quality, fortunately I need a voice for a computer, no need for any dramatic acting, though I was surprised to be honest how well some of the voices can mimic happiness and sadness, But I don't really need anything like that. Cold machine voice is exactly what I need  :)

@a light breeze

Thanks for the advice. I was trying Text To Speech API's but was difficult to get any of them working cross platform, I'm working on a project that would like to publish on browser, desktop and mobile and I need something that works across all devices and different browsers. The best Text to Speech API is Google's Cloud API, but it is very expensive, you are required to pay every single time someone running your app and synthesis the voice and require internet connection too which is ok in the browser but I don't want to force people on desktop and mobile to connect. So I decided to try audio files instead. I need only short sentences, most audio file is about 70kb in size some of them even less. I think it will be fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement