🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

CakeWalk pro9

Started by
16 comments, last by C3ooo 22 years, 4 months ago
Every buddy is saying how great CakeWalk is. Now, I finally got the program. Here is a problem, I''m new with this software. *How do you make your own instrument? (I read the "help" but it only lets me name the instrument) Email: c3ooo@hotmail.com
Not busy ?? visit http://everything.at/bs
Advertisement
I think you misunderstand. You don''t make instruments in Cakewalk. You play them. If you want to play midi instruments (which usually includes the wavetable on your sound card), you make sure that is available in the midi devices bit, and pick it from the track view (you can do pretty much everything from the same dialog box when you double click on port, channel, patch, etc.) Then pick a channel number (make it different for each instrument to avoid tears later) and a patch for whichever sound you want.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
The Help files in the Help menu have some good tutorials for getting you up and started in the program.
you also have to use a full midiable masterkeyboard to play your tune into cakewalk. cakewalk "only" record your melodies. but if you don´t have much external equipment there is also the possibility to load Soundfonts into cakewalk (please look at the help text)..then you can play those Sondfonts over your masterkeyboard.

Cya...Conner
-----------------------
www.hartwigmusic.de
Actually, you can enter your music by hand (by mouse, even) in the Piano Roll window for each MIDI track. I''ve always found this to be easy enough, given that I am more of a computer programmer than a keyboardist

Hm, I thought you can add your own instruments.....

How do I load a soundfont?
Put the soundfont in the same directory with the same name as the project/midi.

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Resist nes8bit :: Bow Down to Linux Communisum
Man, it says that I need Creative Labs AWE 32 and have the SoundFont Management System installed.

Any one know where I can find these things online?

Cakewalk is so annoying.

Thanks.
Cakewalk is annoying? On the contrary, I find it much easier to use than any other pro-level music software. I think you didn''t quite understand what it was meant to be. Essentially it''s a multi track studio (layers audio) and MIDI sequencer (controls the playback of MIDI devices). Although it''s possible to get it to play samples and stuff, that''s not really what it''s there for.

If you want to use soundfonts you need a card that supports them or you need a software synth that will let you use them. I''ve heard of two synths: Livesynth and OrionPro. I''ve never tried either, but look for information on them - they might work for you. Personally, I''d recommend just buying a soundblaster card.

About putting soundfonts in the same directory as your project... does that help at all? I don''t, and haven''t had any problems.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement