🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Doing sound FX

Started by
11 comments, last by cmdkeen 22 years, 5 months ago
I almost forgot, I want some feedback on some of my sound design demo material, it''s at geocities.com/psyko_music/

If I were going to spend money on sfx, there is a studio that did a library for Sound Ideas: the Larger than Life set. I forgot what they were called but I know they sell their own sfx and might publish their own Cd''s I''d look into that if I were you
cmdkeen

DRINK GIN! IT MAKES A MAN MEAN-milk and cheese
DRINK GIN! IT MAKES A MAN MEAN-milk and cheese
Advertisement
When you''re experimenting to try and get a given sound, make sure you note this down along with the settings/equipment you used. I say this because quite often, when trying to get 1 particular sound, you get something which is good for something completely different. If you note all these down, it might help you later.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
You can also experiment with oscillators and envelopes and all that $hit...there''s one called Orangator out there somewhere that is brilliant. Admittedly, it''s more designed/aimed at creating samples for mods, but i''s still an impressive bit of kit for playing around with. There are so many options you won;''t know where to begin. It''s poorly documented, but it''s FREE.

Hope that helps some.

And of course, if you''re very short on money and can''t afford ''professional'' kit, you can always buy a cheap guitar digital multiFx unit (e.g. Zoom GFX-707 is good) and route your FX through that...that way, you can taylor your distortion to a T, and not just have to put up with the rancid digital distortion of just overloading the input of yer sound card. (I''m assuming that you;re editing in software at the moment, not hardware). I could go on for ages, but I have only played around a bit with FX, so I''ll leave it to the experts.

PS: Flangers can turn anything into an effect

And play with EQ A LOT...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement