🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

a silly inquiry

Started by
7 comments, last by Drakar 22 years, 4 months ago
I was wondering if there is any sort of directx plugin that would emulate a set of turn tables, in the way that you can gradually slow down/spd up and raise or lower the pitch of a sound at the same time. Right now I''m using fruity loops and acoustic instruments to write some music. I think that turntables can add some really cool effects that are hard to create with other tools. DRINK GIN! IT MAKES A MAN MEAN-milk and cheese
DRINK GIN! IT MAKES A MAN MEAN-milk and cheese
Advertisement
<!--STARTSCRIPT--><center><table border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=8 bgcolor="#FFFFFF" width="90%"><tr><td><font color=green face="Courier New"><pre> <BR>// Check the DirectX 8.x docs for the new audio/music.<BR>// There is quite a bit of power in it for music<BR></pre></font></td></tr></table></center><!--ENDSCRIPT-->
Try looking at the DX SDK, it will have info. Also try finding the AnalogX Scrachi program, I believe this uses its own sound modification code, but it is cool.

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Resist nes8bit :: Bow Down to Linux Communisum
I wish I was a programmer, so I could program my own fx plugins!

I was talking about something that you can apply to the cakewalk editing software, like waves plugins, or a vst plugin.

Edited by - Drakar on February 15, 2002 12:09:20 PM
I''m guessing a realistic vinyl scratch style plugin wouldn''t work with the VST or DirectX plugin architecture because these both require a constant input stream. In order to ''pitch up'' a sample, the plugin would require to read beyond this frame.

Unfortunately, I''ve yet to discover an even slightly authentic sounding scratch effect, although the Analog X stuff is generally very nice and ( even better ) free, so it is worth a visit.

Maybe you could try sampling some vinyl scratching, and combining this with a pitch bend in order to simulate such an effect?
I''m not interested in scratch samples, just the ability to slow down and drop the pitch of wav files like you can when you gradually turn down the speed of a record player.

Pretty much any sound editor worth its salt will have pitch altering functions. Sound Forge is pretty much the mid-end standard, whilst GoldWaveis free / shareware (?) and has all the basic effects required. However, this won''t ''emulate turntables'' very well; there is more to the cool turntable sounds than just pitching it up and down.
I know about pitch shifter plugins. But what I want is a gradual change in the tempo and pitch of a piece of music in an audio editing environment, not using midi. The analogX plugin works pretty well, but you can only import mono files, which is a pain in the rear.

errr Drakar? as ppl have said, most audio editing applications have exactly what you''re looking for. soundforge 4.5 even lets you draw in the pitch shift on a time v. pitch chart.

at least check out ppl''s solutions before drawing conclusions. I still don''t see how this falls under "turntable emulation". It won''t sound like you''re riding a pitchshifter on a turntable, but yes, the sound will speed up and slow down along with the pitch as gradually or quickly as you like. Also, many trackers have a "pitch glide" command you can use on a sample, which might be more useful, depending on the extent of pitchshifting you want to do (for example, if you''d like to pitch up and down many times on the same sound)

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement