🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trying to break in

Started by
3 comments, last by bootyfunk 22 years, 3 months ago
Hello all, I am new, sorry for not spending time in the beginner section before coming here, but i have audio specific carrer questions. I am an studio engineer with experience music recording, Radio Production, Sound Design, and sound for Software, but not games. I was wondering how the rest of you broke into doing sound for games, how did you start? Is game testing a good way to get in? I am learning c++, is there any other languages i should learn? How do i gain experience when all the positions want experience? thanks -Ecm
A little songA little danceA Little SetzerDown your pants.-SpaceGhost
Advertisement
What kind of work are you hoping to get into? Sound design, or sound programming?

I''m a software engineer with experience in C/C++ and a strong understanding of hardware. I studied fine arts for four years where I spent a lot of my time doing sound design for film and video.

Now I''m doing sound programming for console games. I work primarily in C++ with some C coding. Most of the time I work with a sound designer who provides the content for our game, and I put it into the game and hook it up. I rarely do much design work now, but I feel that my experience with sound is a huge asset when working with the game.

If you are trying to get into sound design, then I would say a solid audio portfolio showing your sound design skills is a must. Additionally, knowing about the limitations of doing sound design for games is a huge plus. Its not the same as film or video.

Game testing is a way to get the foot in the door at a game company, but I have rarely seen game testers get hired much higher up in a company than just "Manager of the Game Testers".

As for experience, write your own games, take jobs doing Tools in game companies. A lot of companies are looking for MFC jockies to write tools for sound. This is a good place to start.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response.

My heart is in the Sound design Aspect, but would happily do sound programming for the right price. Thanks for laying out the diffrences.

My beef is that i cant see how to get my foot in the door without having to intern for another 2 years.
A little songA little danceA Little SetzerDown your pants.-SpaceGhost
I went to art school for audio production I''ve been looking for sound design positions myself. I''ve worked on some stuff but haven''t gotten any paying contracts yet. Actually what I could really use would be some feedback on my demo material. It''s at geocities.com/psyko_music/.

I just figure to find jobs to start put up an app at Gamasutra.com and look for contracts posted there. You also might want to start working with a game mod team to get your feet wet.

DRINK GIN! IT MAKES A MAN MEAN-milk and cheese
DRINK GIN! IT MAKES A MAN MEAN-milk and cheese
I suggest that you just get a portfolio of work behind you , then just advertise yourself here, and look in the ‘Help Wanted’ forum for people who want a sound designer or whatever on their project. Just keep your eyes open on any forum that may advertise for a sound designer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement