🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

microphone for voice actors

Started by
22 comments, last by archon 22 years, 3 months ago
I have the exact set-up as Hocknose BUT in-between the comp and soundcard I mix through a Mackie 1202 (12 channel mixer) which has the most incredibly warm, friendly sound you may ever want to hear. Also the equalization is top-notch and the price ain''t bad either for something that sounds pro. Anyway, it helps to have and also takes up little space. I''ll second Hocknose''s notion to get a mic stand. Very important (and pro)! Holding a mic just makes uneccesary noise. OH, and yes yes yes, compress compress compress. get one, they''re fairly cheap.
I have the SM-58 but I prefer the use of the more expensive, but more professional Sure KSM44 (used for the voice-overs in SSX Tricky and Soul Reaver 2)
My next purchase is the Aardvark Pro Q10 for all my mic work and other instrumental recording. Can''t wait! Happy recording to all!
Advertisement
OOps! I just got done watching the extra voice over takes on SR2, those are not Sure mics, but they might be AKG or audigy. Anyone know? Also, if you watch the actors doing their takes on SSX Tricky, you''ll get an idea of what a great voice-over set-up looks like. Ain''t it cool?
Well, I do dialog, sound fx, and music for post-production all the time, (well professionally, more dialog than the latter unfortunately) and I only recommended an sm58 as a low budget suggestion. If you have the money, then get a good condenser mic.

Personally, I use a Neuman U87 through a good tube Mic. pre amp, to a personus blue compressor (which sound great for their price by the way!) into the best A/D converters I can find at the time (depending on where I''m working and what sort of recording medium they''re using) At home it''s usually my sound card: Echo Gina at 24bit, 96khz sample rate. There''s a lot of good third party A/D converters out there which do just that, and only that, but there''s a reason for their price.

I wouldn''t go near a shure sm57 or 58 unless I''m miking up a snare or a loud amp and I want it in close to take advantage of the ruggedness or proximity effect those mic.s have.
Definitely not for voice though. Ya those mackie mixers are good too, for the price, anything past the VLZ models have good pre amps. I''d stay away from their EQs though. The 1202 comes with "shelf" EQs, which leave you little control over what frequencies you''re dealing with (it gives you only three options for sweeping, high, mid, or low).

Another tip: if you''re going to get a sound card for recording perposes, get it with a break out box (meaning you don''t plug-in right into your computer) due to the electrical interferance your computer gives off, you''ll end up recording some of that along with your intended signal. Ciao, Matt
...Life is not a dress rehearsal...
Oh by the way, it was probably an AKG 414. Great all around condenser mic. for their price.
...Life is not a dress rehearsal...
Break out box? What''s that about?
I surely hope you won''t be recording sound effects that way. There are a LOT of factors involved with using real world sounds and getting them into a good digital representation. So much so that the money involved would be far greater than if you just studied up on sine and pulse waves, bought a generic sound package, and synthesize your sound effects that way. Although, you might get some criticism for not trying the otherway, it''d probably be better in the long run if you plan on having any control over the whole sound section of games when you move on to group projects, what with having a nice understanding of how sound works to begin with.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
My Aardvark arrived yesterday! Yay! So I''ve been testing it out. The built-in mic pre-amps are pretty sweet. Although it couldn''t replace a stand alone pre-amp it''s still pretty good. Also If you want super quiet, pristine recording this beast is doing it all. I''m getting high performance from recording voice-overs right now. sweet.

"it''s getting better all the time..."
Beatles
I''m thinking of buying a Shure 57, or other type of decent mic (Most I''ll spend is £60). Any comments? Any decent websites to buy them from (UK)?
E-bay has s@$%loads of them! BUT...if you''re doing voice-overs you should at least get the SM-58, NOT the SM-57. SM-58 was specifically tailored for vocals. didn''t know if you knew that but just saying that cuz I hate to see someone get the wrong thing. happy recording! oh, and get a popper-stopper, not a pooper scooper.
Thanks. I found a mic in the UK on ebay.co.uk for £35. Shure 58. Going to bed for it now. Sound like a good deal?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement