🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for music composition software

Started by
19 comments, last by Boltimus 22 years, 1 month ago
What do you EXACTLY want the program to do?

If you want a sequencer, try Cakewalk, Cubase or Logic Audio.

Trackers are a little different from sequencers, you can test what really suits your needs.
Advertisement
http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/scdos/

try out this site. the program you can download from there is olddddddd , meaning that it is meant for good ol' DOS. a better, Win version of the application is out there - the last time i checked it cost DEM99, however (also available form Bluemoon Software). SoundClub has the best GUI for that kind of an application out there, imo - it isn't nearly as 'capable' as FastTracker or FruityLoops, though...

ps - i'm most likely suggesting this software simply out of personal melancholy (ahhh - the old days!)

pps - if you do take time to download it, check out the PC Speaker mode - amazing! . then think back of the year it was released...

crispy

EDIT: dbl-check: they seem to have released the win version as well. go here

[edited by - crispy on May 20, 2002 6:52:57 PM]
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
I also think that Modplug Tracker is the best program that is out there. It can read tons of different music formats and it can convert between s3m, it, xm and mod + it includes many different effects like directx media library effects and so on!

// ## //
// ## //
Is CakeWalk any good at exporting MIDI''s?
http://www.cakewalk.com/download/ -> download cakewalk -> run cakewalk -> find out

EDIT: Crispy forgot to wave to timukas2000, a fellow countryman

[edited by - crispy on May 22, 2002 4:54:35 AM]
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Noteworthy + ModPlug = DONE!

(For me at least)
For some really simple stuff, try Finale NotePad. Finale is by far the most professional composition program out there. It is really simple, but for someone who knows music well, it also have plenty of options to epxplore.

Note pad is basically a simple version of Coda Music''s Finale that you can get for free (yay). It''s great to play around with. If you want to do more advanced stuff, as well as export to .mid then you''ll ned to buy the actual Finale pregram, which they give you a discount on if you allready have NotePad.

www.codamusic.com
Cakewalk & Cubase is two of the leading prgs in this segment.

Warm regards
Mario..

Warm regardsMario..
quote: Original post by JohnDo
Cubase VST/32 by Steinberg - best sequencing/composition software I have used.

Really? You should try Logic Audio then!
I find cubase''s midi editing tools damn
clumsy.

For the guy who started this thread:
There are not only expensive Logic versions
like "Logic audio Platinum" available,
there is the "MicroLogic" series, these programs
cost much less, but are quite powerful.
(I purchased MicroLogic 3.5 some years ago,
for $75 or so. I think they still have such prices
for MicroLogic)

http://www.emagic.de

Btw., they also have software synthie plug-ins and the
like. The more expensive versions record changes
of all settings when recording mode is enabled.
IE, you inserted one low-pass filter in the mixer,
say for the channel where you recorded a sharp pulse-width
modulated square,
let the music run, fiddle around with the cut-off knob,
and this gets recorded, and redone everytime
you play your song.
Really cool.
(the mixer I mentioned, looks like a real hardware mixing
board in a studio, it''s really fun to mix your sound with)

quote: Original post by Sqrfrk
Reason is typically for music that''s to be exported into a .wav format. Although it supports MIDI exporting, the only instruments used in the export is a grand piano, which, quite frankly, sucks.

MIDI doesn''t use "instruments", it uses channels and programs, and the sound produced depends on the sound source attached. Hence, a MIDI-file played over your soundblaster on the default channel (1), and default program (1), will get the GM Piano built-in to your soundcards MIDI. Which is usually crappy.

However, played back over a Roland XV5050 it sounds a lot better

It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement