🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosmi 6000 Sound Effects Review

Started by
0 comments, last by ape 22 years, 2 months ago
I read about this sound effect package in a previous post here and I bought it. I thought I'd give a short review for anyone else looking for sound effects. You can get the package for any where from $6 to $30 depending on where you find it online, so shop around. I've certainly not listened to all the sound effects, but I made a random sampling of a couple hundred, and I'd bet my sample is indicative of the whole. The license agreement says you can use up to 150 differnet sound effect in any product you create. And this is important, because any description you find on the internet has a peculiar asterik on the sentence that says "royalty free" so you really don't know what your getting. So out of 6000 sound effects there are probably several hundred that are good enought to use in a game. The vast majority of the sound effects are of poor quality. Some are obviously mislabled (e.g. the label reads "dog barking" but the sound is that of a jet plane), and some sound are in the wrong catagory (e.g. the sound of a train in the catagory "nature sounds"). The user interface it pretty shoddy too, the scroll bar doesnt' accuratley reflect the length of the list, and you can't double click a sound name to hear it, you have to got click the play button down below, which I think demands to much unnecessary mousing. I'll use if for my game, and I'd probably buy it again because its cheap, and its at least adequate. But its nothing glamorous, and I wanted to warn all potential customers. It lacks any polish that you'd expect from commercial software. [edited by - ape on April 15, 2002 9:06:47 AM]
Advertisement
I think I was probablly the first person to mention the 6000 sound effects CD.

And yes, for the most part I''d agree that the majority of sounds in it were useless for the game I was working on. But for some people they might be suitable.

For the $5 I paid for it, I can''t complain. It provided the sounds I needed for my game and helped me complete a big contract on time.

If you do any searching on the net, you will find that there are many other libraries out there. But none of them are $5. Many are in the $200US range or higher. I did see some for around $70 or so.

So, I''ll stick with my original statement. If you want to go on the cheap, I''m sure just about everyone can find suitable sounds in the 6000 sound effects CD for their game. You just have to do some hunting for it.

borngamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement