🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is MP3 best?

Started by
24 comments, last by Ramblings_of_a_Beginner 22 years, 1 month ago
MOD is licens free, Right?

So it is really an alternative. Unreal is using it, I think. And Unreal has really good music!
----------------------------------------------Petter Nordlander"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. They who understand binary and those who do not"
Advertisement
quote: Original post by GitTech
Aha, so when I distribute that ogg file, I don't have to pay. It's no problem that the ogg file has been a mp3 file in the past?

I don't think it would ever matter what the file type *was*.

[edited by - Avaj on May 16, 2002 1:24:45 PM]
Um...technically, mods are license free, but Jeffrey Lim really doesn''t like people using Impulse Tracker to create music that they will get paid for. So I guess the way around that is to write it in IT, import into MPT (Modplug Tracker), play with it a bit (add some DX effects or whatever), then write to wav or whatever. Either way, I wouldn''t use a raw IT file. Of course, if your composer writes in XM or S3M or whatever, then fine. Just maek sure you read up on it all before you commit yourself. AS for the MP3/OGG thing, I have no idea. I guess the main problem with those two is processing time; and therefore how processor-intensive your game is. If you enough spare, use them; if not, next step down is mods (XM, IT etc.), then probably WAVs and similar. Then general MIDI if you''re desparate.

I suppose you could attempt using some softsynth of some sort...but I dunno what the legal/technical problems are with implementing that in a game.
I think that using a mod instead of a mp3 in your game is a quite good idea. Mods are small and flexible and they don''t need so much CPU as a mp3 with good quality needs.

// ## //
// ## //
DirectMusic won''t play mods. At least not yet. And I don''t want to use FMOD for the licensing fee. ModPlug Tracker should be able to export to that DirectMusic Producer format.

Chris ''coldacid'' Charabaruk <ccharabaruk@meldstar.com> <http://www.meldstar.com/ccharabaruk/>
Meldstar Studios <http://www.meldstar.com/> - Creation, cubed.

This message double ROT-13 encrypted for additional security.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

Its right to use it,compressed formant,very much legal where decoding dont need licence.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement