🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

a legal issue...

Started by
9 comments, last by Metal Typhoon 22 years, 1 month ago
if i use instrumental from artist , am i doing wrong if i publish my game ????
Metal Typhoon
Advertisement
...without the artist''s permission?

yes.

hum.. but it''s an instrumental .. i mean if they led it be dowloaded there must be no problem right??
Metal Typhoon
Chances are there would still be a problem.

I''ll give an example: Many programs are liceced under GPL (which basicly lets you do anything with it as long as you don''t remove the GPL from it). The code to these programs is available on the internet. This dosn''t make it legal to take say the 3D engine out of that code and use it for your own game without GPL.

The same goes for the music. While it is still available free on the internet, you''ll be likely to find that you are not allowed to use it in your game. You may also find that the site you get it from has advertising, so if you were to distrubte the music, people would not go to the orignal site, and view the advertising, therefore, the artist looses money.

I''d say it isn''t legal, and the only way you should use the music is if you get a written agrrememnt that gives you distrubutation rights (as well as modification, adaption, etc, while your at it (even if you don''t change the music, this is so you don''t get done over for re-encoding it or what not)).

Hope this helps,
Andrew Russell.

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Refrence | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

Also, on a side note, I saw that you wanted to publish your game. If you don''t have written permision, no sane publisher would touch it.

Also, almost all of my music is instrumental, and I wouldn''t be impressed if you distributed it without my permision.
quote: Original post by Andrew Russell
Also, on a side note, I saw that you wanted to publish your game. If you don''t have written permision, no sane publisher would touch it.

Also, almost all of my music is instrumental, and I wouldn''t be impressed if you distributed it without my permision.

lol thx for te info it really helped me.. i''ll just buy a sampler and make my own music heheheh
Metal Typhoon
out of interest, which piece of music did you have in mind?
>i''ll just buy a sampler and make my own music heheheh
there´s just the same problem! Not every sampler will grant you the right to publish the Samples or Sounds coming with it!
You should inform yourself very carefully if the sampler is free for commercial use!

Greetings Conner

---------------------
www.hartwigmusic.de
quote: Original post by Conner_2001
>i''ll just buy a sampler and make my own music heheheh
there´s just the same problem! Not every sampler will grant you the right to publish the Samples or Sounds coming with it!
You should inform yourself very carefully if the sampler is free for commercial use!

Greetings Conner

---------------------
www.hartwigmusic.de

wow that a good point.. didn''t thnk about it.. well i guess i''ll have to as korg.
Metal Typhoon
quote: there´s just the same problem! Not every sampler will grant you the right to publish the Samples or Sounds coming with it!

I''m guessing that a sampler that was sold with the condition that it can''t be used commercially wouldn''t exactly be a big seller. That is why, as far as I am aware, no sampler places any such limitations upon its use. Sampling copyrighted material and using it in a distributable may be illegal, but this is a funcion of the material and not the sampler. Sample CDs also tend to be copyright free to use; you buy the license to use them when you purchase the CD. Occasionally some demand that the source is credited, or even payed for again(!), but this is rare.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement