🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A question for musician

Started by
2 comments, last by nicho_tedja 22 years ago
I''m a programmer and I have a simple question for musicians. When we, programmers, look at a game or a program, we might think "Oh, they use this technique." or "I know how they make that." Is it the same as you, musician, listen to music composed by other people? When you listen them, you seem kinda know which notes or accords to play. I''m wondering how people can make the mid/mod version of games music with exact notes. My compiler generates one error message: "Doesn''t compile." -Albert Tedja-
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
Advertisement
Yes. It takes practice to recognize bits and pieces of music, recognizing chord progressions, arpegios and such. It''s called "playing by ear" - some people are naturals at it, for others it takes practice - a little bit of trial and error. Try this chord, try that chord, eventually you figure it out.

As far as anything digital goes, however, it''s too easy to break a song apart with software - but I suspect that with the midi for a game and a pre-existing song, sheet music plays in.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
ok thanks, I think that''s what people call talent

My compiler generates one error message: "Doesn''t compile."
-Albert Tedja-
My compiler generates one error message: "does not compile."
quote: Original post by nicho_tedja
Is it the same as you, musician, listen to music composed by other people? When you listen them, you seem kinda know which notes or accords to play. I''m wondering how people can make the mid/mod version of games music with exact notes.

Yes. I hear music and I think, "ah, phrygian mode", or "wow... 7/8 time", or "nice use of the augmented 5th there". Of course, a lot of musicians consider this to be heresy and just want to play "what sounds good". Personally I find the understanding aids my playing and composing.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement