🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

making midis

Started by
2 comments, last by IFooBar 22 years ago
hi all. u know how u get all these sites with midi versions of almaost every single song by any artist out there. do they actually note the whole song out in a midi editor or is there some easy way to turn the song into a midi?? how would you go about turning say a metallica song into midi. i know i can find all of em out there on midi, but i just wanna know how! thanks all
[size=2]aliak.net
Advertisement
hi,

I should think every MIDI-maker or MIDI-composer with a shred of self respect (and the ability) at least tries to record the tracks by playing them on somekind of keyboard (MIDI keyboard will do just fine). Such tracks won''t be any good for conversions into song notation, but the quality and realism is alot better than that of songs written in some editor. If you''re trying to MIDIfy a Metallica song, I think your best choice would be a composer/editor, more precisely Notworthy Composer. I''m sure you''ll be able to track it down on the net all by yourself. It''s by far not free, of course, but if you want to create 1 song only, the program allows up to 10 saves before the evaluation ends. There are perfectly legal ways to get past those "obstacles", but NWC is usually the software for the job. The only things you can''t bypass (by using your head, not a crack which I strongly discourage you to do - besides its registration process is internet-based, so I have no idea if there actually is a crack out there) are clipboard copying-pasting and printing out the score - you''ll see what I mean .

P.S. why would you want to create a MIDI version of a Metallica song?? MIDI mostly sucks at non-classical music imho... Just a thought... you go ahead!

Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Although, if you find some MIDI sounds you like, like from the Yamaha XG library, a metallica song might work, especially like the ones they perform in concert with a real orchestra.
since some of their stuff can be fast tempo and just plain crazy, find a tablature if you can. Otherwise, if you can play notes by ear just from listening to a metallica song, try recording your MIDI version of it in half time, or any speed you feel comfortable at so you can actually play the notes with-out screwing up (i do this all the time). after that, turn the tempo back up since MIDI is so nice like that. anyway, that''s just how I do it. hope that helps.

oh, and if you visit my megalith page, look for the MIDI sample titled "Friendly Shop." I recorded that in half time originally by tapping out every note for all the instruments (a very simple MIDI by the way), then I upped the tempo to my desire. happy hunting.

DRC
Megalith Music
Solar EXtract
ok thanks guys. i was just using metallica as an example. and i just wanna do it to learn how thast all. so would cakewalk do the job. cause i''ve had it for ages. just have no idea how to use it.
[size=2]aliak.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement