🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MP3 specification

Started by
0 comments, last by Crispy 22 years ago
Hi, okay before anyone says anything, I just want to say that I know this is illegal. I wouldn''t be posting this if I had $2,5k to spare, but does anyone know of a place (URL, book, whatever) where I could get the official MP3 specification. I don''t want code written by others, I just want to (try and) write my own player (not a codec) - I think I can actually do that for my personal use only without paying the fee, right? Or not... I would do it the "right" way (call it "legal" if you will), but as I said earlier - $2,5k is an amount of money I can''t even start to think how to raise (sigh)... Crispy
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Crispy
I know this is illegal.

quote: Gamedev Forum Wide FAQ
There are several topics that will generally get closed immediately, either because they incite flame wars, or replies condoning illegal activities.

If you want to playback mp3 files in your game I suggest you do a search of the forums (this one in particular) for "mp3 playback". There have been several discussions on using DirectShow (which has the mp3 licence paid for you) and free alternatives to mp3.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement