🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

extraction

Started by
5 comments, last by edwinnie 22 years ago
i was wondering if there is a way to record a piece of music embedded in a game by using another program at the same time?
Advertisement
You could use Virtual Audio Cable and route the audio directly into SoundForge or the Windows Sound Recorder for a perfect digital copy.
Change your audio properties and get your computer to record. Here''s how-

Volume Properties> Options > Recording (ok). Unselect microphone and check ''Live in''. Run a recording program and play the game\program. It -should- work. Try it out.
On some cards, it may be "what you hear" or if the game is midi, you could record from "MIDI" or if it were direct sound, there may be a "Direct Sound" channel to record from. What you hear is probaly your best bet, perhaps just turn off game sounds and leave the music on. Sometimes you could proably extract the music directly from the data files of the game.

BTW, I hope your being good and legal

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Refrence | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

quote: Original post by Andrew Russell
Sometimes you could proably extract the music directly from the data files of the game.

The best way to do it imo. I and a friend of mine successfully extracted the sound RIFFs from Dune II - once you do it you''ll have both the joy of listening to the music as well the joy you get from messing around with binary files. A small thing though - I can''t remember exacly how large the sound file was for dune 2 (around 4 megs?) - so editing it directly would have been the worst of nightmares . We used Norton Commander''s split file functionality (one thing I haven''t come across in Win2k - somebody tell me if there is such a thing) to create a whole bunch of 15k files (the size of the chunks, of course, is up to you).

PS - What game do you have in mind and why would you want to extract game music? Just curious...

Crispy

"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
thx for the suggestions.

i am starting university soon, and i hope to extract a piece of
game music that i liked so much, and hope to put it on a homepage
which the university provides.

or u could called a ''student webpage''.

its non-commercial aniwae, so its legal rite?
Using copyrighted material (i.e. music from a game) is never legal, even if it''s "non-commercial". Unless explicitly stated in the license for the game, then the music is copyright. There are one or two exceptions, but it''s best to avoid it no matter what.

codeka.com - Just click it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement