Getting a Team Motivated

Started by
5 comments, last by GeneralJist 3 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone!

I'm trying to debug a team issue, where the team seems to have lost steam on the game project we've started.

The team is at the community college I go to. We started a computer science club where people have joined to share their enthusiasm for things computer related. We decided to make a 2D game in order to have a group project to work on. About a month and a half has passed, and the effort has dwindled down quite a bit. We don't have much to show for the game, except a really good story line and a handful of tiles. We have a 2D game engine, which is mostly functional. We also have an IDE for working with the engine. But most of the programming effort has come from myself, save for the story line and bits and pieces of artwork.

How can I get the team motivated to produce more work for the game? I feel like I'm the only one working on it now. I want to inspire the team to continue to develop the game, so that the effort we've spent on it now isn't wasted.

Any thoughts here are appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

This is a very common problem. In general who came up with the majority of the game ideas and concepts (does everyone feel some form of ownership to the game concept)? Is there any team lead or is everyone just off doing their own thing? Does everyone have a specific task to focus on with reasonable deadlines? Are you working on more smaller and manageable tasks first? Do you have weekly or frequent meetings where everyone gives updates and shows off what they've done? Is there a reward system in place?

I'm not sure what went on for a month and a half but if you had a bunch of people sitting around a table spouting ideas while you were working on majority of the stuff then it isn't going to get better. I've seen this happen over and over again, you get individuals all sparked up and ideas are flowing in non-stop for a period of time, then when actual work needs to be done people shut down. The fact is development isn't always fun and you need some form of a structure in place with someone at the helm leading the way. You have to find a balance between hard work and still having fun because this isn't a paid project. Discipline is key here, not motivation.

On the subject of “motivation”… Motivation follows action and not the other way around. You need to focus on getting things done and work towards everyone on your team having a feeling of accomplishment as they're contributing and moving the project forward then motivation will follow, but you have to keep the momentum up.

Take your common goal, break it up into sub goals and set targets. Make sure everyone has a purpose. When targets are reached make sure to reward yourselves with a night out together or some event, dinner or whatever - agree to some rewards. Train yourselves that if you complete (x) goals the entire team will share into some common reward.

Break down:

1. Have structure, leadership, purpose, and accountability
  2. Set small goals that are manageable and make sure everyone knows what they're doing
  3. When goals are completed set rewards that the entire team shares in
  4. Work, work, work… Keep up the momentum because with enough time away or lost focus the entire project can go from extremely productive to abandoned

Beyond that… if you're doing everything right and people are not contributing their share then I would remove them and find new members. Make it known that the club is for game development and not a brainstorming club. Finding devoted people who will actually put in the blood, sweat, and tears isn't easy - especially when it's unpaid. Even people working on their own solo projects tend to hype up at the start and flop over when work needs to be done.

Best wishes.

Programmer and 3D Artist

tay10r said:
How can I get the team motivated to produce more work for the game?

You need to know each member well enough to understand what motivates him or her. Then you need to find a way to appeal to that motivation. Additionally, there needs to be a team motivation (the reason the team is making the game), and you can appeal to the team spirit to motivate an individual (we're depending on you just as you depend on us, that sort of thing).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thank you for that insight. I feel like I've heard something like before, regarding to appealing to each persons motivation. I'll try to find a way to make that a tangible action, thanks!

@Rutin Thank you so much for the response! I really like the point you made regarding motivation, that it follows the action. Regards to having “rewards” - perhaps we could have a dinner out with everyone once all of certain “checkpoints” have been reached? I think the biggest take away I have from your advice is that we need:

• more specific goals
  • a reward system
  • accountability and deadlines

I'm not quite sure how to implement accountability and deadlines for volunteer work, but I'm sure there's something close. Thank you again for responding! I'll do my best to carry your advice forward.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement