How to use Agile methodology to develop games?

Started by
11 comments, last by benediktloe 3 years, 6 months ago

8Observer8 said:

SuperVGA said:

@8observer8 What is the relation between a vague question on working Agile and a TDD entry to writing pong in Godot?

Agile and TDD are parts of XP (Extreme Programming). Source:

Definition

Extreme Programming (XP) is an agile software development framework that aims to produce higher quality software, and higher quality of life for the development team. XP is the most specific of the agile frameworks regarding appropriate engineering practices for software development.

Article: Join Us at deliver:Agile 2020

Around this time last year I tweeted, “XP is not dead; it’s just not where you left it.” I was tired of hearing longtime XP practitioners complaining about the decline (or even death) of XP practices. I was tired because I saw XP every day. Young devs rearranging their workspace to be more conducive to frequent pair programming. Spirited lunchtime debates about the philosophy of TDD. Conferences like AndXP (later renamed PearConf)… and so much more. XP is alive and well, and it has continued to evolve and find new audiences. It may not look exactly like it did to first- or second-wave practitioners. The same could be said for Agile technical practices overall.

I think it can be useful to study some elements from XP like Agile and TDD together. Those lessons about TDD and Godot shows basics ideas of TDD in practice. I do not use Godot but the lessons are universal for any engine or even if you write games or 3D apps without engines in OpenGL/WebGL like me. Some parts of games or 3D apps can be written with TDD/BDD with Agile and Scrum/Kanban together. It is interesting for me to study XP, and Agile/TDD/BDD like parts of XP.

You can often see “testing” (or “specs”) when you see Agile in jobs descriptions. “testing” is TDD/BDD that makes by programmers. Maybe we can say that TDD/BDD is a part of Agile now.

When would you recommend to start with unit tests: From the beginning, when the project becomes complex, or generally if there's capacity to do so? I'm asking because we do a lot of acceptance tests, but unit tests not so much. I know there's not a conclusive approach, but I would like to know your opinion.

Creating “video chat + games” on chipstv.co

Advertisement

@benediktloe when the project becomes complex you will not be able to write unit tests. Your project will not be testable. This book explain a lot of basic things from scratch: The Art of Unit Testing, Second Edition If you use Unity Game Engine this article is very useful: Unit testing part 2 – Unit testing MonoBehaviours It allows to avoid problems with the MonoBehaviour class by using mock objects.

@8observer8 thanks a lot for the info! Our project is starting to get complex, so I figure we should start unit testing soon. It's been in the backlog for months now, but we shouldn't wait any longer. I'll go through it with my mates, hopefully they'll be open to it.

Creating “video chat + games” on chipstv.co

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement