How do I price the development of the following project

Started by
4 comments, last by Orymus3 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm teaming up with two developers to create a demo for a poker site a friend owns. We want to propose something like Poker Stars VR using their already established user-base. This would be a VR only game.

We'd work on the modeling, programming, maybe even distribution. The plans is to release the game as a PCVR and Quest standalone game.

My question is, how much do you all think I could charge for this kind of job? Or how do I price this? The client is from the US.

Keep in mind, I have no experience releasing a single game yet the owner is a very close friend of mine. My other two developer friends have experience releasing flat reality games for other companies, but have never released their own games.

Thank you very much!

None

Advertisement

CassieNova said:
How do I price the development

We'd work on the modeling, programming, maybe even distribution.

Development could run half a million to ten million, or more.

Self-publishing means you will be paying triple the cost of development before money is rolling in.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Omg, had no idea that was the number. Thanks again Tom, you've been very helpful!

None

Agreed. Even a low-quality VR title is a quarter million if you're doing professional work. That's not even covering your self-publishing costs. Normally development is roughly a third of total costs. A decent title is easily seven figures.

Poker and gambling opens another can of worms. You need lawyers for that. If there is no money involved the lawyers can help with the easy path of ensuring you are on the right side of gambling laws. If there is any chance that either money or prizes of any value whatsoever is involved, even credits to web sites, it runs into gambling laws. They are there for good reason, money laundering and gambling go hand-in-hand, but the effort to develop legal gambling devices is tremendous. Those take a lot of time and effort to resolve.

@cassienova The client is from the US, but are you? What about the rest of the staff?

Oftentimes, other countries have an ‘unfair’ advantage in exporting to the US in the sense that to generate the same margins, they can charge much less.

Even inside the US, Bay Area cost of life is very far from rural Alabama for example. While I agree it might be very rare to find even a ‘crappy’ VR title under a quarter of a million, it may not be impossible with your means, though you wouldn't necessarily be selling the service at a ‘fair’ rate. Sadly, there are no arbiters of ‘fair rate’ in the market…

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement