How to learn the standard practice which taken the workplace in the professional environment?

Started by
17 comments, last by frob 3 years, 1 month ago

Hey, I want to learn the standard practice taken in the workplace in the professional environment. Like I have the skill of how to work on software but have the issues when working in collab. As I have failed to share the work on organized manner based on the professional approach. I have no issue while working in software but when I am working in collaboration and I shared my work with the team member, the team member faced difficulty due to lack of well- organized approach. Now how I want to know how can I learn the professional approach which taken in the world of professionals ?

Advertisement

Haziq said:
lack of well- organized approach

It's good that you know this about your coding style. Maybe the way to get started fixing this is to comment your code to aid others who may read your code.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the response, but I am not the programmer but the designer. I have created a different project alone for the client. As client only get the output he does not get the issue. But if I am collaborating with someone for example creating game design which is going to be used by a game developer then he/she points out the issue in the project as it is not well organized, and I have not followed the professional approaches of the way how designers should share their works based to other members needs. In others words project should be self-explanatory. As I don't know where to learn this professional approaches and they expecting you know by yourself.

Haziq said:

Thanks for the response, but I am not the programmer but the designer. I have created a different project alone for the client. As client only get the output he does not get the issue. But if I am collaborating with someone for example creating game design which is going to be used by a game developer then he/she points out the issue in the project as it is not well organized, and I have not followed the professional approaches of the way how designers should share their works based to other members needs. In others words project should be self-explanatory. As I don't know where to learn this professional approaches and they expecting you know by yourself.

How did you produce the requirements for the project, and what sort of loop do you involve the client in? Do they get to see everything, or do you present demos for them, have a roadmap and explain briefly what you've been doing since the last meeting?
How have you agreed on a quote, based on what, and how does that relate to the updates you provide to the client?

If you're talking about the working with the client as an individual. At the very start I have a meeting setup in which the client asks some question for some queries and ask for some proof in which show reels and its explanation comes in handy and based on this meet up the client ask several questions it is sort of a small interview. If the client still have some doubt then I make a small sample for him with watermark or trademark. If the client like what it sees then negotiations and contract takes place. After successful negotiation the contract will be made for both parties in which both client and seller have to sign it as it is the sort of proof of the things which is going to be done on this amount and on this specific time period. Till now in every contract client have to pay in three parts
1) Initial payment in Advance
2) Half payment based on the half project progress
3) Full payment when project is completed.
The project will be given to the client on the last meeting after showing complete progress and getting the full payment.

“How did you produce the requirements for the project”
After hearing him out. I ask several questions which needs to be clear. After understanding everything I ask for a few days (if it required) otherwise I take some time alone to think about it, after thinking through about everything I give the further explanation of what will be done and not.

“Do they get to see everything, or do you present demos for them, have a roadmap and explain briefly"

On the contract the roadmap discussed what will be done. They get to see progress of the project from time to time

“what you've been doing since the last meeting?”

Well it's not about a client I have not faced difficulty till now working for a client. But when I am working on the group project than I faced an issue which I have discussed in my original questions like co-worker claim that you have not organizing you're work. We have to understand your project etc you need to learn about it the professional approach how to organize your project and how to make the project files as self-explanatory.

@haziq ahhh, alright. I completely misunderstood you earlier. Yes, practice, sticking to your conventions, platform usage/architecture and documentation is important. Does the team have a clear set of conventions, setting the expectations? Do you review code with every PR?

Does the team have a clear set of conventions, setting the expectations?
Yes, by expectation I meant the objective are sets clear in the written documentation that I have to complete these task before these dates than to give to the other team member which have to work further on the project. In my case I am the designer. I design the projects after completing my design area the file is transfer to programmer (game developer), now the issue is programmer has made the issues that you have not made the project properly organized not only that the project does not follow standard which are follow in the professional world. So the issue is I don't know what are professional standards I know the tools and how to deliver something, but I don't know how to make the project as easy and organized as it can be self-explanatory for the other project members.

Haziq said:

The problem is communication, then. When you first presented the question, it sounded like a programming / coding question. From your words, it sounds like your collaborators are complaining that you aren't communicating clearly enough.

You are using the term “project” as if it was interchangeable with the term “design." The project is the ongoing effort to implement the design into software form. The design is the expression of what the software will be, how it will function. If the project is not well organized, that is the producer's fault, not the designer's. If the design is not well organized, that is the fault of the designer. Are you both the designer AND the producer?

A game designer is, above all, a communicator. You have to use words consistently. You have to communicate the design to the client and to the team. If they are complaining that the design is “not well organized,” then you probably need to follow an outline, and make sure each section of the outline is communicated clearly. At https://sloperama.com/advice/specs.html​ you will find one outline and links to other outlines at the bottom of the page.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Alright, so from you, the designer, the expectations have been (besides what was agreed to with the client), the deadline.
Is it correct that the developers haven't requested any particular set of "stories", features or use cases from you?

Because having those as a sort of contract or reference between PO and Developer can make a big difference, organisation-wise.

Haziq said:

the issue is programmer has made the issues that you have not made the project properly organized not only that the project does not follow standard which are follow in the professional world.

I don't quite understand this - does the programmer also have problems with their deliveries, or is there some standard they should adhere to, but are not?

@SuperVGA Yes. There is no extra thing requested by the developer to include in the project. All the things which are set in the written documents only those task I have to done it which I have done it. There is no issue regarding output. The only issue which I have faced often by other team member that the project is not well organized based on the professional environment and the professional workflow is not used by me. I only want to know how would I know what is standard professional when transferring the work as there is no training takes place for this matter they believe is your task to learn it by yourself just like skilled which you have learn by yourself.

“I don't quite understand this - does the programmer also have problems with their deliveries, or is there some standard they should adhere to, but are not?”

No, the programmer has the hard time understanding the project due to not organized in professional approach I have been criticized only due to project not having professional approach and properly organized in the way that the project should be self-explanatory and understandable the programmer does not have to spend extra his time to understand the project. I have no issue to make the project on their requirement, but could I prepare the organized project in the professional manner if I have no idea what is the standards and how to learn it ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement