Inverted Hull outline in HLSL Language?

Started by
3 comments, last by Krigeta 1 year, 7 months ago

Hello, I am using Renderdoc to edit a Game shader of the game called “Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2” and I am trying to add the inverted Hull outline method but as a beginner, I am not able to understand how can I do it in HLSL language, I have tried it in Blender only.

So if someone knows about it please guide me, it would be a great help and I am attaching an article that has the inverted Hull method. https://torchinsky.me/cel-shading/

Hope I will able to find a solution.

Advertisement

I have no experience with modding at all, but i assume your first problem is that cel shading requires to draw the model twice - once the front faces, and a second time for extruded back faces.

This may be a show stopper, because likely the game does not draw twice, and by changing only shaders you can not affect this. You would need to change the code running on CPU which calls gfx API functions to submit draw calls.

Edit: Oh sorry. I just googled for the game and saw it already uses cell shading. So ignore my post.
Not really sure what you try to improve. It seemingly already uses the hull method to draw outlines, mixed with painted strokes in textures.

blank

@JoeJ got the motivation from here link and btw this game is not using the inverted Hull method, it is using the depth-based outlines as I have checked in the RenderDoc, so still want to know how can we replicate this inverted Hull effect in HLSL because it is pretty normal these days.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement