How to fight the urge to meticulate?

Started by
12 comments, last by taby 1 month ago

CM@SNHU said:
the instructor “was just informed that SNHU no longer wants students using the gamedev.net forums.” I don’t really know why

Interesting. If the order came down from the top, then our campaigning about the poor pedagogy from SNHU is having an effect. The problem is the disruption it causes in our normal discourse when forum novices bust in in a group, asking questions only because they're supposed to ask questions, and the questions are grabbed out of the air in real time (i.e. not pre-planned questions that have been researched at least a little bit, or that the student really cares about). If one individual shows up with blank-slate questions like that, that's one thing. But a whole group of them at once, every semester - that's the problem. SNHU was already identified to be the one institution doing this. Doing a search on “SNHU” probably turns up these forum entries, and it's not a good look for SNHU.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

CM@SNHU said:
that the instructor “was just informed that SNHU no longer wants students using the gamedev.net forums.” I don’t really know why

The problem isn't students using the forums. People who want to learn, want to discuss, want to ask genuine questions are always welcome.

The problem is the terrible assignment that was given, as Tom wrote. We've had students in the past explain it, it isn't about helping students learn and grow and develop. The assignment is directing people somewhere to ask questions merely for the sake of asking questions somewhere.

As reported to people on their faculty in the past, and here in the forums, it is something that could have been done better. Have students come up with questions from their assignments, and then direct them to attempt to struggle with it on their own. After they've struggled with it, and then used their own studies and research to struggle with it, next expand it to people in a forum with guidance on how to craft the question. That would be very good, but they don't do that.

Matriculate? I hope so.

As for the draconian laws at this or that draconian university, you can see why they are generally failures – they see everything as black or white, not gray, like it really is.

You're more than welcome at these forums, just don't act like a total moron.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement