Advantages and disadvantages of Crowdfunding

Started by
3 comments, last by a light breeze 2 weeks, 2 days ago

Good afternoon everyone,

For today's topic I come here hopefully seeking helpful information from people's experience and knowledge on crowdfunding. If you have nothing to say or want to just tell me I'm wording my question wrong then please feel free to just skip over this one because I don't have time for that.

So, I am trying to gather information on whether or not crowdfunding is useful and can be a viable source of income for making a game.? I am also curious about the benefits and disadvantages of crowdfunding? I know other indie developers who have used things like kickstarter and other platforms to build a community and get interest into a game but what challenges did they face? Was it easy to start getting people to follow the game? What did you actually use the money for from the crowdfunding site? Did the game ever come to fruition? Hopefully you can help me answer some of these questions as I am looking into possible crowdfunding a small indie game and am trying to see what that entails. If something doesn't make sense and you need clarification let me know but any experience and knowledge on this would be amazing.

V/r

Ben

Advertisement

I recommend you read the other crowdfunding threads in the Business and Law forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

yes it can work, I've seen it.

however, the common practice of GIGO should be followed.

Garbage in garbage out.

This effectively means you get what you put in.

Success in crowdfunding will boil down to how much your able to convey your vision and abilities to the general public.

And the question if the money needs to be used for the product your proposing is a of course.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advantage: the funding part

Disadvantage: the crowd part

The crowd is fickle. The crowd wants to be entertained. Be prepared to spend a whole lot of time and effort, and possibly money, on keeping the crowd entertained. Be prepared to be insulted and outright ignored. If you've got a great product, natural charisma, thick skin, and a love for being the center of attention, then crowdfunding may be for you. If you just want to be left alone so that you can write your game in peace, then crowdfunding is probably not for you.

Also, don't offer rewards that you can't afford to give away. Should be obvious, but you'd be surprised at how often people get this wrong.

Advertisement