I had an issue trying to post a tutorial

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 2 weeks, 3 days ago

I was going to post the tutorial you can see here https://github.com/hayesgr/Dungeon_gen

on this site originally. But every time I got to near the end of writing it. It would lock up especially after posting the link to github. There was no doing a thing for it didn't matter how long I waited. You couldn't enter anything or remove anything. Ended up trying it twice and after having to put everything in a second time I just gave up.
I suspect it has to do with the JS code that checks links. It is great to check the links but not great if it just locks up that way. The reason I suspect the link stuff being the issue it happened again much shorter when I tried entering the link above to the project on this.

Advertisement

Yup you have to be extremely careful with links. Entering a link and then doing some action, for example doing a half-linebreak (SHIFT+ENTER; don't know the exact name) bricks the editor. The forum software is… very good like that. Just put all links in at the end, and always copy your post before submitting (or even type is out in notepad or something). Great times!

That's a good summary. Tutorials and articles should be thought about, written, rewritten, tested, verified by someone else, rewritten again based on that, reviewed again, and finally copied over then touched up for the site.

If you're writing it for the first time in the editor, chances are it won't be great content. The site's editor isn't that great and has been through many revisions over the years. It has some good functionality, but also issues.

Advertisement