Brainstorm: "_______" instead of "Summoner"

Started by
23 comments, last by Red Cloud 14 years, 7 months ago
Other possible words you could creatively use:

nex⋅us
–noun, plural nex⋅us⋅es, nex⋅us.
1. a means of connection; tie; link.
2. a connected series or group.
3. the core or center, as of a matter or situation.
4. Cell Biology. a specialized area of the cell membrane involved in intercellular communication and adhesion.

liaison
Function: noun
3 a : communication for establishing and maintaining mutual understanding and cooperation (as between parts of an armed force) b : one that establishes and maintains liaison

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by smitty1276
Other possible words you could creatively use:

nex⋅us
–noun, plural nex⋅us⋅es, nex⋅us.
1. a means of connection; tie; link.
2. a connected series or group.
3. the core or center, as of a matter or situation.
4. Cell Biology. a specialized area of the cell membrane involved in intercellular communication and adhesion.

liaison
Function: noun
3 a : communication for establishing and maintaining mutual understanding and cooperation (as between parts of an armed force) b : one that establishes and maintains liaison

Funny you should mention Nexus. It's the name of one the airships in the game. I only knew the shallow meaning of it, though I reckon it also really describes the situation I'm after here. Thanks :D
redcloud@adam.com.auSODALIS looking for talented and dedicated tileset and sprite artists. www.sodalisrpg.com
Quote: Original post by Red Cloud
Hey, thanks guys, this is really helpful stuff. I don't know why I didn't try to relate it to opening the rift itself. I'm going to either go with a 'custom' name that really describes how they control the rifts and extract things from them, or try and use one from another language.

The summoners in the game have an ancient language that is no longer used, however their sacred places are still named in the ancient language, so perhaps they should be also.

Thanks for your help everyone, a really effective brainstorm session! :D Hope I can return the favour one day.

If they have their own language, they should probably have a name for themselves that only they use.
Quote: Original post by Pete Michaud
Hey, thanks guys, this is really helpful stuff. I don't know why I didn't try to relate it to opening the rift itself. I'm going to either go with a 'custom' name that really describes how they control the rifts and extract things from them, or try and use one from another language.

The summoners in the game have an ancient language that is no longer used, however their sacred places are still named in the ancient language, so perhaps they should be also.

Thanks for your help everyone, a really effective brainstorm session! :D Hope I can return the favour one day.

If they have their own language, they should probably have a name for themselves that only they use.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now, however their existance isn't that well known, so I'm wondering if other people should call them by that name that they've given themselves or a translated meaning, because some of their sacred places and relics have translated names too that are commonly used in the game.
redcloud@adam.com.auSODALIS looking for talented and dedicated tileset and sprite artists. www.sodalisrpg.com
Quote: Original post by Pete Michaud

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now, however their existance isn't that well known, so I'm wondering if other people should call them by that name that they've given themselves or a translated meaning, because some of their sacred places and relics have translated names too that are commonly used in the game.

If the summoners have their own name for themselves, but the non-summoners have a name for them as well, the summoner-given name should reflect the opinions of the summoners, and the non-summoner name should reflect the general opinion of the people. (And people with differing opinions could use lesser-used names that are more critical or insultful, or else more respectful and honorable)

If they are afraid of the summoners: Daemon-caller
If the summoners are well accepted: Plane-guardian (Guardian of the planes, or Guardian of the people, to protect them from what's in the planes)
How about "Rifter" :D
Sojourner, sort of works. Hooray for Dictionary dot com!
I'm narrowing it down, I'll let you know what I end up choosing :D
Quote: Original post by Matias Goldberg
How about the word "summon" in another language? (see the bottom):

Always be careful with using foreign language words. E.g. the german word "vorladen" (that appears in the cited post) has the main meaning of requesting people to come to a court. Words looking for are "beschwören" and "herbeirufen". Although "vorladen" would probably be understood due to the context, it may disturb the immersion of the game for German speaking players. (The concrete meaning of words and phrases in a spoken language is the reason why studios suggest that translations should ever be done by people that speak the targeted language natively.)
How about:

Riftweaver, planeshaper or just shaper, or for a more tech centric type thing, bio-alchemist.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement