🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Book+game sold as a package?

Started by
21 comments, last by sunandshadow 22 years, 6 months ago
some of the early ultima games came with neato leather bound spell books and cloth maps, that was pretty cool.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Advertisement
quote: Original post by krez
some of the early ultima games came with neato leather bound spell books and cloth maps, that was pretty cool.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Actually they pretty much all (up to 7 1/2) came with cloth maps, and frequently another extra (a black orb of the moons with 6, and an ankh with 4, I remember) You only got this stuff in the first production run of each game, though.
Lying around some where I have the clue book to the old computer D&D game Eye of the beholder 2. In the beginning is a little bit on how the clue book is suppose to be a journal of some one who had visisted the temple before you and drawn maps and descriptions of the monsters, etc. I guess it was to justify the clue book in the D&D universe

Rofeletan-
Elder God and Programmer

Edited by - Rofeletan on December 1, 2001 2:31:59 PM
Rofeletan-Elder God and Programmer
book + cd ???? wow ! , christmas gift !
joking apart , cool idea , but i would like to read the book first and play to change the plot later , my 2 cents....

i have used WriteCoolGame() but the pc crashes...

Bonus material is always nice when purchasing a game. But bear in mind that it was the game that was desired when bought, so it''d be a good idea to work off the premise that the player did not read the bonus materials.

But, if you need an idea, think of the instructions manual. If you want to give any back story or apply artistic detail, its a perfect place for it. An example could be having each initial character of the story with their details arranged like a passport and something tucked inside of it, like a letter written to them from somebody important to them.

:: Inmate2993
:: William C. Bubel
"Please refrain from bothering Booster."
william bubel
Sunandshadow good idea, but there is a Playstation 2 game called Shadow of Destiny that has the same idea already.

Here is a link to a review if the game
http://www.thegia.com/psx2/wal/wal.html
www.ivgdb.com Internet Videogame Database
Cool Idea I think. I remember way back in the day, instruction manuals would really have a short story at the beginning of this. The two I can think of are the original Dune and the the original Lands of Lore. Both excellent games in my opinion. You''d definitely have to pick off where the story ended, or change the climax or epiphany
If we''re moving away from the idea of a novel and more towards a short
story / various attached background information, the old Infocom games were
very good. In particular, I''d recommend the short story that came with ''A
Mind Forever Voyaging''.

Scans of some of the Infocom manuals:
http://infocom.elsewhere.org/dsinclair/
Me and one of my friends are working on a pure text horror game where the idea is that when you finish the game you'll get a small booklet telling the story again but from the perspective of those you've interacted with throughout the game.

We can't however give the user an actual paper booklet since we'll be distrubuting it as freeware. The booklet will be unlocked as a seperate program when the game is completed and the user should have the option of printing it out on demand.

It isn't quite picking up where the game left of but hopefully it will add some sort of depth to the story.

http://envy.nu/anykey

Edited by - allgoodnames on December 13, 2001 7:04:33 AM
www.freewebz.com/anykey
I can honestly say I never read the background stories to games. I just want to get in there and kill stuff! If I can''t work it out I then read the manual but never bother with the story.

What might be nice is if the game depends on the book, for example if it was a murder mystery kinda game the book could be a story with clues about who speak to in the game etc.
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement