🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Book+game sold as a package?

Started by
21 comments, last by sunandshadow 22 years, 6 months ago
The one good thing about putting a novel in with a game is if the game really sucks and the book is good you haven''t totally wasted your cash.

A great example of this is "Flight of the Intruder". The book was great and occupied much more of my time than the actual game (which was absolute garbage).

borngamer
Advertisement
quote: Original post by allgoodnames
Me and one of my friends are working on a pure text horror game where the idea is that when you finish the game you''ll get a small booklet telling the story again but from the perspective of those you''ve interacted with throughout the game.
We can''t however give the user an actual paper booklet since we''ll be distrubuting it as freeware. The booklet will be unlocked as a seperate program when the game is completed and the user should have the option of printing it out on demand.

i have thought about having a "scribe" NPC in a game (not for anything good, just to set up this nifty idea). the player would bump into him every so often and chat; then, when the player wins the game, the scribe would chronicle his adventures. of course, if the game was linear, you would get more or less the same story each time, but assuming there was a branched plot, it would be worth reading.
i also thought about distorting the "story" the scribe writes, to get the "historical" or "mythological" version (hey, when you save the world from evil wizards or whatever, you can bet that 500 years later the tale has changed somewhat from the original). this would [hopefully] thoroughly entertain the player, rewarding them for their victory by showing them how the NPCs of the world they saved appreciate them in generations to come.
but of course, i haven''t bothered [yet], although i might put that in the game i am currently working on after i get all the important stuff done.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I would certainly purchase the game given the fact that it must be a massive game with many many choices and outcomes. If it wasn''t then as long as they twisted the story to where no matter what you did, the same thing ended up happening, but in a cool way, it would still be as good to me. By the way, the creator of zelda ocarina of time created a poem to go with the game years after its release to help people find the triforce, has to do with the time from those stones, and a couple other hints he gave.

"Practice means good, Perfect Practice means Perfect"
"Practice makes good, Perfect Practice makes Perfect"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement