🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rich Carlson talks about game writing/writers

Started by
42 comments, last by Tacit 22 years, 3 months ago
I don´t read so much fantasy/sci fi books, however i have played some (non computer) table role-playing games and tabletop board games (with rpg influences) for the last 10 years.
If you guys haven´t tried it yet i strongly reccomend you go and buy a (maybe simpler) rpg and play some with your friends.

My experience of playing rpgs, is that youre level of creativity is increased much! Writing rpg adventures are also many ways simlyar of writing game sories.
In a book book i read about cretaing interactive computer applications they author also tipped out playing rpgs.
The the former of the the swedish computer company "Frambab" also pointed out once, that it was alot due to his younger rpg experiences, that made him creative enought to startoff a new sucessfull company.

Also I´m not really sure what makes you a good game writer/designer, but here is some things that i recommend if you want to become a good game writer/designer:
* Play alot of games (gaining Game experience / Playing game experience)
* Playing classic rpgs/strategy/other table games
* Try study good at school
* Discuss/Analyse what makes sertain diffrent games good/fun/exiting, bad/boring
* Read many articles and books about game design/writing
Advertisement
The game industry seems to have an interesting degree of extremism going on. On on hand, we have key speakers for the IGDA that say theres no place for story in game, which then eliminates everything save the monopoly and tetris clones, adjusted for today''s technology. And on the other we get CD2 of Xenogears. What this ends up leaving is what is called the "low-level story" where a paragraph is offered at the beginning of the game, and again after you kill the John Romero wall, and everything inbetween is left up to the player to figure out why. I kinda dislike these. What we rather have to learn, which the japanese seem to be doing a good job of, is how to incorperate the best of both, and to generate some consistant layer of sophistication in it. Here I''d offer games like Mischief Makers (Enix, N64) where theres a coherent story, for the most part, and everything seems to just fall in line with yoko art. Final Fantasy Tactics is another good one, where it takes on the form of some kind of historical discussion, and each scene after battle adds to story and it reproducable from your "brave story" menu option. And then, theres Rez, which I haven''t played yet, but it looks really funky. At any rate, if the american game industry wants to pick up any, we need to step above "U R IN HELL, GO FORTH AND KICK ASS" and start working on some kind of enlightened artistic design.

As for carlson, he needs either a big name to say "yes, he''s right," or a way bigger base.

Will Bubel

Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
I just don''t understand these people who say there is no place for story in games. It points to a marked close-mindedness to what could be done with the genre. I read an article Greg Costikyan wrote covering the topic of stories in games, where he very clearly expounds his personal belief that stories and games are each other''s antithesis. He then goes on to list all kinds of reasons why this is so. If I had more industry credibility I''d love to write a rebuttal to this argument, which I personally think is a lot of crap. It''s one thing to say that the way the industy currently functions, in most cases game development does not allow for compelling storytelling. That is not the same thing as saying there is no room for storytelling in or through games.

Granted, there are certain genres or types of games upon which story is completely wasted. Conversely, there are existing genres and types, and probably new ones we haven''t explored yet, that do benefit from story elements taking a more prominent role. It often seems like there is an unreasonable amount of resistance to the idea of using games to tell stories (I''m not saying they should be used exclusivly to tell stories, but that the medium allows for it), and many times it only seems attributable to an attitude on the part of some developers who perhaps came from purely technical backgrounds that dislike the idea of a non-programmer having creative influence on a game. It''s analogous to the argument against the non-programmer game designer. Perhaps the people who started the industry, who were mainly programmers, feel threatened by the trend in tools and technology which will eventually allow tech-savvy non-programmers to do a lot of what it now takes a team of programmers to do. I''m not sure...

I just think there should be more of an attitude of openness and mutual respect, an acknowledgement that both ''sides'' of the coin have valuable and vital skills to offer, and that the only way things will evolve from their current stagnant state is to examine new ways to make games.

R.
_________________________The Idea Foundry
In his defence, I feel that a lot of it comes down to the definition of ''story''.
"But how would you react if your gamemaster were to tell you, "I don''t want you players to do that, because it will ruin the story"? He may well be right, but that''s beside the point. Gaming is NOT about telling stories. [...] That said, games often, and fruitfully, borrow elements of fiction. [...] The notion of increasing narrative tension is a useful one for any game that comes to a definite conclusion. But to try to hew too closely to a storyline is to limit players'' freedom of action and their ability to make meaningful decisions."
I Have No Words And I Must Design, Greg Costikyan 1994.

I would think that the problem is that many of the devices used to tell a story effectively are in opposition to many of the devices used to implement a game effectively. Essentially, they are opposites in many ways. However, this does not mean that all the degrees that make up the middle ground are not fertile.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
The only areas I''ve seen narrative and story working against a game is maybe Metal Gear Solid 2 on some lengthy portions. But in terms of strict gameplay, even normal games give the player an opportunity to take a break and recoup and that seems like the best place if any to fill in some juicy plot. As for jealousy between techies and non techies... its a possibility, but with game budgets soaring into the halfmillions and beyond, I suspect it won''t be a major problem anymore when men like Costikyan decide to retire, or go do something else... Speaking of which, I live in the Costikyan IGDA sector and missed my first opportunity at catching a speech of his. Any warnings for me before the second on in 4-6 months?

Will Bubel

Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel
quote: Original post by Inmate2993
The only areas I''ve seen narrative and story working against a game is maybe Metal Gear Solid 2 on some lengthy portions.

I think the implication comes more at the design phase... you won''t see many games where it''s a problem, because it''s hard to make such games. Integrating a real sense of game play with a real sense of a story is quite hard to do. A story is inherently linear. A game is not. You can redefine story in such a way that it becomes less linear and more suitable to a game representation, but then you are cutting large chunks out. For example, you might reduce the story such that the player plays through various episodes, where the start and end states are fixed but what happens in between depends on the game. (See Bishop_pass''s thread for examples of how to approach writing such a game.) Or you might write several divergent storylines, of which the player will only take one. Either way, you''re moving away from the original concept of ''A Story'' and into new waters.

Kylotan, not really. See, what Costikyan should say is that games are the antithesis of conventional linear narratives. That is definitely not the same thing as saying games are not stories. His definition of a story is far too limited in scope and in my opinion his arguments are almost meaningless because he ignores many things story writers, who''ve adapted their craft to different media including games, have learned about the process. In his own game designs, I would agree that there is little room for story. But, to generalize the way he does is completely false. I''m not referring to the article you are but rather one which is published on his site.
I don''t entirely agree about the story definition - I think story is linear, whereas narrative or fiction can be split up. But sorry if I was referring to the wrong article - do you have a link so that we can criticially evaluate it?

That''s probably the oddest differentiation I''ve ever come across. Story is linear and narrative or fiction can be split up? I would use the words ''story'' and ''narrative'' interchangeably, and fiction just refers to the fact that whatever story you''re dealing with is not a rendition of actual events.

In any case, certainly my definition of story is much broader than probably yours and definitely broader that Costikyan''s.

This is the article I was referring to: http://www.costik.com/gamnstry.html
I treat story as a count noun, and fiction or narrative as a mass noun. In other words, a story is a single given thing, whereas narrative or fiction is a more general term for creative writing in various forms.

Whether you agree with my chosen distinction, it certainly helps to be able to distinguish between the two somehow . More precise definitions would help discussion. Broad definitions allow one to be correct, but while saying very little.

As for the article... I don't disagree with most of it, and it's obvious he has read around the subject. But some of it is a bit dumb, such as: "the Fighting Fantasy game books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston were worldwide bestsellers [...] This is, obviously, rather dull." Criticising something that was very popular usually shows you're out of touch with the audience. But I think the key focus of his argument has some merit.

[edited by - Kylotan on March 13, 2002 7:23:08 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement